Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-08-2017, 03:48 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 197, 2010, MCX
Water in the oil, overheating/overcooling, 2 dime sized broken pieces in Exh on MCX

History-- I bought this 2010 Prostar 197 with 1400 hrs in October from a ski school in Miami. Yes I live in Maryland. I skied behind it there (little bay off the canal system. Definitely salt water. Brought it home, skied about three times behind it with no issues other than loving the wake. Then my good fiend(197 owner of at least 10 years) and I winterized it. We took it out the holiday weekend and skied fine, but when I took it out afterward for a long ride, it overheated. While letting heat soak kick in, I started it at idle. The temp dropped to 90 degrees. Started to idle back... Then on plane and up went the temp again. Idled back and even just on plane and that got us back. I found a missing clamp on the strainer and tightened it down thinking air was getting in the system.

We took it out to ski the following am and got through a complete set before again it started to overheat.

Yes, at this point I wish I had checked the oil. We idled back and then it seemed to hydro lock. We paddled the rest of the way back, especially because we did check the oil-- which was foam at this point.

We noticed a steady drip/almost stream leak from the left exhaust manifold before we resorted to paddling.

I've been boating for 30 yrs but always outboards. This is my first inboard.

Ok, current problems---so in reading the posts here on overheating, off has come the left exhaust manifold/ETXCAT and there were 2 dime+ sized pieces of caste aluminum inside it. But the exhaust gasket didn't have signs of failure.

So now I've read the intake manifold gaskets fail on these.

I have changed the oil, I'll do a compression check... Any other suggestions pointers I should look for?

My skill level is I've rebuilt a few OMC v6 outboards, a few head gaskets on a few of my cars (a couple Toyota supra s a minivan...) and freshened up the bearings on one supra with the block in the car.

I think I threw out any experience I did have and kept at it instead of diagnosing.

Thanks in advance for any ideas, focus and also connection for parts like thermostats, exhaust manifold gaskets, gasket to the SS elbow and now ETXCAT s (apparently).

I'll turn it over by hand to lubricate, take compression numbers... What about this ETXCAT sitting on the floor? Anyway of testing it? The 2 broken pieces were not smooth on wither side so it's not a piston!!
Attached Images

Last edited by 197prostar'10; 06-09-2017 at 04:30 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 99 prostar 205 LTR
Got a pic of the broken pieces?
Old 06-08-2017, 07:39 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
No external leak? If you change the oil and run it and it turns milky again then you have a cracked block somewhere ... sorry
Old 06-09-2017, 05:16 AM
TT Newbie

Sorry, I thought I loaded 6 pics.

Yes, there was an external leak. That's what prompted taking the Exh manifold off. But the leak must have been from somewhere else, because there aren't the signs on the gasket... Unless it is cracked.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2017, 05:26 AM
TT Newbie

Cylinder 2 or 3 (2nd back on the left side) had water in it when I took the plugs out and the 1st had signs on the plug. So it looks like the intake needs to come off.

Who is a good source for the gaskets and hoses I'll need to buy?
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2017, 05:28 AM
TT Newbie

Should this look like this? Is that scaling from salt?
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2017, 05:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Ri257
You can tell from the paint around the O2 sensors, those manifolds got hot. In my experience with them, they crack internally so you get water going where it shouldn't....back into the cylinders, hydrolocking and mixing with oil. I wouldn't be surprised if you need 2 new manifolds and a bunch of oil changes..
Old 06-10-2017, 11:15 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks sand2. That's what I'm planning on doing now. Indmar parts, anyone got a lead on a good source. I've held off removing the intake and will replace both sides, one oil change down. I got three oil filters and will see where that takes me. Pumped the water out and added a bit of oil to the cylinders and rotated to lube the water soaked cylinders.

So two new manifolds..... Anyone with a good source? Thanks.