Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-11-2017, 03:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '91 PS190, '05 X10 (sold) & '11 X25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweaver View Post
Two questions-
Will they let you water test prior to the sale?
When you say 45 day warranty buy back, what, exactly, does that mean? What is covered in the engine warranty? Only the parts they replaced, or the whole darn thing? Will they buy it back at the price you paid, or will they deduct for hours you added? If the engine as a whole is covered (due to possible related issues with parts replaced) and you can return it for full purchase price, that seems like you're pretty well covered from that perspective.

From here on out, will you be using it in salt or fresh? If salt, then I wouldn't worry too much about the trailer wheels and whatnot. If fresh, that should halt most (all?) of the salt corrosion, then you can replace parts as needed in the future with parts not contaminated by salt.

G
G - I think you might be merging a few of the entries. What has been offered at this point is a "45 warranty on the engine." No qualifications on what is covered or not covered. I will clarify this but I think it is a fair expectation that parts and labor will be covered on ANY engine related repairs 45 days from delivery. As I mentioned early, we will be in the position to use the boat pretty much every one of those 45 days, if only for 15 minutes.

What was suggested by a TT member was the provision of a dealer buy back if we experience X number of issues specifically related to the engine work done last year. I am not aware of any dealer doing that as a normal course of business so I will have to think carefully about it and come up with some very specific language that will essentially force them to back up their "all of our customers are happy with their purchases" and "the boat is solid and runs great" claims.

As for where the boat will be used in our possession, it will be on Lake Champlain this summer and then eventually making its way to our permanent home in Arizona and used on fresh water lakes only.

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2017, 03:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '91 PS190, '05 X10 (sold) & '11 X25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethebt View Post
I guess I am not fully understanding the issue here yet. The worst things out these pictures is that the plastic engine cover looks terrible. Second behind that is the al wheels on a galvanized trailer that was clearly in salt.

So they did had some parts replaced. What was the problem? If it did not sink and it appears to be ok now, I am not sure what the concern is if the price is killer and has a warranty. Just know that maybe there is some future work and bugs to work out. It is not like you are trying to convince yourself that a low priced AMC Pacer is a good idea.
jakethebt - I understand the "run away" feelings, especially if you normally buy new and have a troublefree experience with your boat. I think it just comes down to what each person can stomach when it comes to boat issues. While it kinda sucks at the time, all of our misadventures have made my kids and me more resilient, resourceful and even tempered in the face of adversity.

For our family, every new foible is met with "well, at least you didn't drive away with the anchor attached again" or "it's not as bad as leaving the engine running in the parking lot" or "at least we're not drifting into the rocks again like that one Sunday night when the fuel pump died."

So I definitely appreciate your take on the situation!

Lastly, my son asked me what an AMC Pacer was. I told him it was the Breaking Bad car of the 70's. He said, "Ohhh, wow, now that makes sense."
Old 04-11-2017, 09:29 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X14 w/ LY6
Just check everything over and water test the boat. If it checks out fine and the water test is good. Buy it! It looks good and is a great price!
Old 04-11-2017, 09:34 AM

Boat: XT22
I assume there is another Silver Sands Marina, aside from the one near me in NH? Where is this one?
Old 04-11-2017, 09:44 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCraft Ranger View Post
Attachment 159068

This is the LY6 of a 2011 X-25 salt water series that I am very close to buying. Lots of engine work done by MC dealer recently - new manifold, ECM and exhaust being the main components.

A 45 day warranty on the engine has been offered as part of the deal.

This could be from a '78 Datsun for all I know...

Any feedback is most welcome.

Thanks in advance,
B
Having owns a 2012 X45 SS and now a X23 SS I will tell you that what you are seeing on the engine hatch braces and coolant bottle seem to be normal. I never used my X45 in salt but we live on a river that open to the gulf so late summer we will get some brackish water.

MY coolant brackets rusting and engine hatch brackets chipping looked just like that. I have a serve case of MCOCD and there was noting I could do about it.

Now this boat does look a bit worse than mince but the way that MC positions these components is not ideal for salt use.

This boat does look as if its seen a bit of neglect, but if you can get an independent compression test done and all looks good, with the saved money, pay a professional detailer to clean the boat top to bottom. Then with the other money you saved invest in GSA, I saw Arics wave pictures and it was super nice.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:47 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Quote:
I asked about a compression test, here is their response:

We do not do compression tests unless the engine does not turn up to full RPM’s. If you would like one with report the cost is $159.00.

I'm going to request one for my own sanity but I'm not sure what I'm looking for in the results. Everything I know about compression tests I learned from that long saga of the guy's catastrophic X45 in Texas with the overheated test drive.
This IMO is a red flag... I would have an independent shop to a compression test and a leak down test... at least you can see what the plugs look like... if they balk at you doing this then I think you know what the answer is... they know something is wrong with it and are banking on it running for 45 days...

you can get any motor to go to full throttle if a cylinder is say 80% that is just plain lying.. make the test part of the sale along with the water test...

your money... and it is cheap... if you buy remember the worst is you have to replace the whole motor whatever that cost is... so budget for that...

and make sure you spend the money to have a lawyer look over your 45 day warranty tell your lawyer what you expect to be covered... remember they write those for themselves not for you... If it were me I would make it a 60 day warranty
Old 04-11-2017, 10:11 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
OP - buy this boat. I love the value.

Sounds like the engine went haywire because some major components were exposed to salt, and all of those components have been replaced. The boat has obviously aged faster than what some of the MCOCD freaks on this forum would like to see and that's probably whats scaring most of them.

I bought a used 197 that cosmetically is not in the best shape. There is scratching to the bottom of the hull due to the PO beaching it on a regular basis, there was a couple dings out of the gel coats from what looked like rock damage. Interior was a bit rough when I bought it and needs replacing now. I paid $500 for a marine survey which included a compression test, water test, and full inspection and mechanically the boat was perfect. To this day the only thing I've replaced is the PP throttle cable (this is the third season on it).

Everyone on this forum told me to sprint in the other direction when I was considering buying it. But the numbers were too much in my favor and I bought the 2002 197 with 500 hours for 16k, far under what everyone else was paying for 197s at the time. It has turned out to have been a great boat thus far and I have no regrets!
Old 04-11-2017, 10:24 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
@ paintpollz.. I agree with you to a point.... but you also did what everyone is recommending....

I paid $500 for a marine survey which included a compression test, water test, and full inspection and mechanically the boat was perfect.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
@ paintpollz.. I agree with you to a point.... but you also did what everyone is recommending....

I paid $500 for a marine survey which included a compression test, water test, and full inspection and mechanically the boat was perfect.
You are right, I should be more clear and say that to me this is a boat that I would spend the $500 to do a full marine survey including water test/compression test - as others have stated.

IMO to "run" or "sprint" in the other direction because this is a saltwater boat and there was thousands of $ worth of replacement parts that were just fitted is foolish. This dealer has to uphold a reputation and they are in fact offering a 45 day warranty. While 45 days may not be a long time or suitable to some people, everything in this sale is negotiable and the fact that they are offering a warranty of 30 days or more on an engine that was not a full reman done within their shop is in my opinion at least decent. How many people here are following the "seems like major engine issues" thread? That's a disaster, the OP bought a bought from a dealer with no warranty and two hours later he's already lost compression in one cylinder. I don't think we have a situation like that here.....

In addition, the OP stated that its not customary for a dealer to perform a compression test unless the boat is not running steady or normally at full throttle. This is 100% true, and $159 for this is a fair price AND AGAIN, negotiable. If it was me, I would agree to purchase the boat on a final price based on clean survey results which included an in house compression test while the owner attended.

If the boat checks out then the OP just landed a boat in decent cosmetic condition but good mechanical condition for a hell of a lot less than what the market shows. For some that aren't obsessed with "MCOCD" or whatever, its a win win.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93 Ski Centurion Falcon
Quote:
jakethebt - I understand the "run away" feelings, especially if you normally buy new and have a troublefree experience with your boat. I think it just comes down to what each person can stomach when it comes to boat issues. While it kinda sucks at the time, all of our misadventures have made my kids and me more resilient, resourceful and even tempered in the face of adversity.

For our family, every new foible is met with "well, at least you didn't drive away with the anchor attached again" or "it's not as bad as leaving the engine running in the parking lot" or "at least we're not drifting into the rocks again like that one Sunday night when the fuel pump died."

So I definitely appreciate your take on the situation!

Lastly, my son asked me what an AMC Pacer was. I told him it was the Breaking Bad car of the 70's. He said, "Ohhh, wow, now that makes sense."
Amen to this! You are doing your kids a service. Mine are the same way. I was never more proud than how they behaved and kept themselves entertained on a totally botched lake trip where we never even backed down the ramp because I couldn't get fuel from the tank to the carb. I worked on the boat in the parking lot for hours...finally threw in the towel and took the kids to Buffalo Wild Wings. We've headed out to the lake and left the boat keys on the rack in the house, once...had my wife bring them to us about halfway.

My son missed an entire day on the lake because he rode with my uncle towing a boat and the radiator hose in the Cherokee decided to pop off en route.

And there was the time the prop shaft broke at the end of last season...at least it was after my son got to wake board. We had to be towed 1.5 miles back to the marina.

Good life lessons. Good luck with the boat.