Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 03-18-2015, 11:25 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2014 Prostar 5.7L
2014 Ilmor 5.7 Overheating

Searched this topic and found a little info, but would like more if anyone can provide.

I have a 2014 Prostar that when at idle my engine gets extremely hot and then cools once some power is applied to the engine (As stated in previous posts).

All have said to check for debris/blockage, etc... I have done that. Ensured strainer was clean, took hoses off to ensure nothing in the hose, changed impeller. Bottom line, there is no debris in system.

Is this a warranty fix? I must say, I am a little frustrated at this point because I have had my boat for 3 months and this will be the 4th warranty repair to date.

Can anyone provide a little more insight on this problem? Thanks in advance and sorry for asking the same question again.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:30 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
some threads on older models.. have not read about many complaints... that would frustrate me as well.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...p/t-48116.html

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...p/t-61441.html

use this search in google to find the threads.

ilmor overheat site:www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk
Old 03-18-2015, 12:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: changes every month
You need to call your local dealer with engine number and run warranty info.. there is a fix for problems like this.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:41 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 X10
I've got a 13 X10 that did the same thing and there were 2 possible issues. One was the strainer. They changed to a smaller version because there were times that the pump wasn't always able to stay primed. My dealer swapped mine out for free because they had done this on other boats with a similar issue and it fixed it. I believe they said it was covered on boats with this issue because it was a known problem. On mine it didn't help.

The second easy place to look, which was the cause of the problem on mine, was the thermostat. The thermostat could be bad or just installed incorrectly. The thermostats in the Ilmors need to be clocked in the correct orientation. If not, they can stick at low rpm and cause the overheat. Once you power up, they'll pop open and the motor will cool until you slow down or let the engine cool off enough that it closes again. If your boat was winterized by someone who pulled the thermostat in the process, I'd almost bet this is the problem.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:31 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Mastercraft X-30 and 2000 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD50 View Post
The second easy place to look, which was the cause of the problem on mine, was the thermostat. The thermostat could be bad or just installed incorrectly. The thermostats in the Ilmors need to be clocked in the correct orientation. If not, they can stick at low rpm and cause the overheat. Once you power up, they'll pop open and the motor will cool until you slow down or let the engine cool off enough that it closes again. If your boat was winterized by someone who pulled the thermostat in the process, I'd almost bet this is the problem.
How can you be sure it is "clocked" correctly? Is there an indicator or notch or something like that on the thermostat and surrounding flange?
Old 03-21-2015, 09:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 XT22 5500
My 2014 does this. I've had the dealer look into it, they contacted Ilmor, and were advised to change to a different thermostat. They definitely acknowledged this was a known issue. The change helped a little, but it can still happen. When it does, I just put idle it up a bit and the temp comes down immediately, then it will stay down. I'm not happy that it is still there, and will likely ask the dealer to check into it again next time I have the boat in.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Mike View Post
How can you be sure it is "clocked" correctly? Is there an indicator or notch or something like that on the thermostat and surrounding flange?
There's a manufactured hole in the thermostat.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:37 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2014 Mastercraft Prostar
I also have a 5.7 2014 Prostar with this overheat problem. according to my dealer, this is not a true overheat, but caused by a flaw in the thermostat and the temperature sensor location being at the thermostat housing. Mastercraft has issued a service bulletin to reposition the temperature sensor and replace the thermostat. I will find out soon if this fixed the problem...
Old 03-29-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMN View Post
I also have a 5.7 2014 Prostar with this overheat problem. according to my dealer, this is not a true overheat, but caused by a flaw in the thermostat and the temperature sensor location being at the thermostat housing. Mastercraft has issued a service bulletin to reposition the temperature sensor and replace the thermostat. I will find out soon if this fixed the problem...
Looking forward to the resolution.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X-30
I have a 2013 x30 with the Ilmor 5.7. I went through this, as well. It can also be the thermostat. The thermostat has a hole in the side of it and the hole is under-sized. A thermostat with a slightly larger hole was installed on mine and it has not over-heated since. From what I was told the "original thermostat hole size" was intended to have the engine run warmer so that, if a heater was installed on the boat, it would operate more efficiently (put out warmer air). The downside, is that the programming for the engine temperature alarm conflict with the "small hole" parameters and then....alarms go off. I was concerned with potential engine damage due to over-heating - so, my dealer pulled the info off of the computer history on the boat. He stated that the engine never reached above such and such temperature and that is well within the spec for the operating temp of the engine = No damage = it is not a "true" over-heating issue.