Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 05-09-2017, 07:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Maristar 230 VRS
Last year on the last day In the water!
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...1&d=1494374243

Sitting in the garage waiting to hit the water again!!
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...1&d=1494374243
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2017, 09:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14 LY6
That turned out nice!
Old 05-09-2017, 09:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
That turned out nice!
Thanks! Used the StarBrite 3-step system. I did steps 1 and 2 twice over a couple of weeks period and then put 6 coats of their teak oil on it. The first two coats were soaked up really quick and didn't even really make a difference. The last 4 I followed the advice on here and put a coat on and then let it bake in the sun. I'm really pleased but I'm curious how long it will last and look this good!
Old 05-10-2017, 05:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiesurfer View Post
Thanks! Used the StarBrite 3-step system. I did steps 1 and 2 twice over a couple of weeks period and then put 6 coats of their teak oil on it. The first two coats were soaked up really quick and didn't even really make a difference. The last 4 I followed the advice on here and put a coat on and then let it bake in the sun. I'm really pleased but I'm curious how long it will last and look this good!
You done good!! That's the system I use as well. Many make their own "brew" as well, and I gotta say they too look really great. I started with the StarBrite and never switched because mine really lasts for me. The boat sits on a lift under a canopy, but the teak is in the sun all season. I only do a touch up (2 coats of oil only) over winter, and am good to go in the spring.
Keep up the good work, looks great.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
You done good!! That's the system I use as well. Many make their own "brew" as well, and I gotta say they too look really great. I started with the StarBrite and never switched because mine really lasts for me. The boat sits on a lift under a canopy, but the teak is in the sun all season. I only do a touch up (2 coats of oil only) over winter, and am good to go in the spring.
Keep up the good work, looks great.
Thanks!!
Old 05-10-2017, 08:15 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 Supra Legacy
I know to some it's sacrilege to even consider putting anything other than oil on platforms, but does anyone have any experience with the Honey Teak system? It's a two step acrylic urethane enamel I have been reading some sail forums and people swear by it even though it's pricey.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:28 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2real View Post
I know to some it's sacrilege to even consider putting anything other than oil on platforms, but does anyone have any experience with the Honey Teak system? It's a two step acrylic urethane enamel I have been reading some sail forums and people swear by it even though it's pricey.
I think I read somewhere that a urethane or varnish type finish will have a tendency to flake and peel after some time. If that's true, that would be a bear to get back to bare wood and go old school.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:15 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
I think I read somewhere that a urethane or varnish type finish will have a tendency to flake and peel after some time. If that's true, that would be a bear to get back to bare wood and go old school.

It WILL flake...keep it classy and invest a little time and elbow grease each season. Cold beer opportunity awaits...
Old 05-10-2017, 10:30 AM

Boat: No Boat
I love the 3 step starbright package for teak. However, I skip the third and got with the mix.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 05-10-2017, 11:29 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Skier View Post
It WILL flake...keep it classy and invest a little time and elbow grease each season. Cold beer opportunity awaits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I love the 3 step starbright package for teak. However, I skip the third and got with the mix.

Kudos to both