Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2016, 11:01 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 21ft X-Star
2000 X-star bilge question

Hello,
Just picked up a 2000 X-Star. I have a question on the bilge. I keep my boat in the water during the season. I can go 2 weeks without being up at the lake. When I leave after weekend of fun do I have to switch the bilge switch to auto? The owners guild indicates that the auto position on the rocker switch activates the bilge while boat is underway. I left the switched centered which is off. Question is does the bilge have a float that will kick in even when bilge switch is off while boat just sitting in the water?

Or does the auto position work while not underway and engine off??

Thanks advance for the help.
Babsy
Old 06-06-2016, 01:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
I would definitely leave the switch on auto if you are leaving the boat in the water for 2 weeks.

Older bilge pumps have float switches that kick the pump on when they sense water and the pump is on auto. Mine just runs the pump once every 60s or so and if it picks up water it keeps running it.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:01 PM
TT Newbie

ok...so if mine does have a float I have to keep switch on auto. It just didn't seem like when engine off and key removed with it on auto that it does anything.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ...
Personally I'd wire a perko switch in that isolates everything apart from the bilge pump. Then switch the bilge bump to auto whilst you are away from the boat.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 Prostar 205v 330 LTR
It's a good idea to regularly check your float switch if you have one and make it part of your start up check list. Dirt and debris in the bilge can prevent them activating.

Set the switch on the dash to auto and locate the float switch just lift it and you should hear the pump kick in. The switch is only turned to off when it's on the trailer and manual is really just an override for if the float stops working.

I always set my switch to auto when running and leaving afloat, it should be the only device wired direct to the battery. Newer style pumps do a load test where the motor spins every so often and if load is detected then it will continue to run and pump water. Most replace the older float style with this type as it takes out the risk of a sticky float.

The original pump and float switch are still working fine on my boat it's below the round hatch to access the centre drain plug.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:43 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X10
If you leave the boat in the water, and the bilge pump on auto, you need to leave the battery switch in the "on" position for it to kick on, right?
Old 06-07-2016, 10:18 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
Yes. Unless the pump is wired directly to the battery.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:47 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Nautique
I always left the switch on auto. This also will allow the pump to switch on if water accumulates during the day. It wont seem like the switch is doing anything when in auto mode unless the float senses enough water to kick it on. You can test the float manually as mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbkriss View Post
If you leave the boat in the water, and the bilge pump on auto, you need to leave the battery switch in the "on" position for it to kick on, right?
yes.....unless like JAFO mentioned its wired directly to battery itself.

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
88 2001 Nautique
Old 06-07-2016, 11:45 AM
TT Newbie

If I leave the switch on auto how much affect will that have on my battery? I'm worried that it will drain it completely. I looked up bilge pumps and its states 2 amps per hour. If I'm gone 2 weeks my battery might be dead when I get back up to the lake house. Currently the boat only has one battery.
thanks
Babsy