Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 11-04-2017, 10:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 X-star
Ok so I finally got water into the engine, but it required putting a 5 gallon bucket into the boat with water and filling the hose up prior to starting the engine. This is odd because I haven't had this issue before with this low of suction on the impeller. The impeller is new this season with only about 40 hours. I ordered a new impeller in the event that's the issue.

I tried pulling the bucket out of the boat and then putting in into the larger bucket that sits just below the exhaust, but it stops it's suction at that point.

I have blown into the intake to the water pump and I dont sense any holes anywhere.

The other thing is the water pump only has three screws on it vs the 4 it should have. I am not getting much leaking from it, but that could also be an issue.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharmon203 View Post
The other thing is the water pump only has three screws on it vs the 4 it should have. I am not getting much leaking from it, but that could also be an issue.
That is probably the issue. If air is drawn in it reduces the ability of the pump to lift water.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:08 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X2, MCX
[quote=jharmon203; The other thing is the water pump only has three screws on it vs the 4 it should have. I am not getting much leaking from it, but that could also be an issue.[/QUOTE]

When you say that you're not getting "much leaking" does that mean you're getting some? i wonder if you're sucking in air through the raw water pump seal?
Old 11-05-2017, 10:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

yeah I will try to get that 4th bolt put in with a new gasket and see if that helps.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:45 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Old 11-10-2017, 09:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Well the people on here that advocate changing the impeller every year win. I put the 4th bolt in and that did not solve the issue. So my next troubleshooting step was to replace just the gasket. Still wouldn't pull water into the engine. So my last effort was just to replace the impeller. After getting the new impeller out of the packaging, I noticed that while the old impeller had no blemishes, the rubber wasn't near as stiff.

I put in the new impeller and it worked great. The old one will work fine in a pinch because it still drew water into the engine, it just couldn't account for that high of a draw. Physics...

Thanks for all who helped!
Old 11-10-2017, 10:41 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Could you please let me know what you mean by the CWP? I don't have a shower or anything on my boat.
CWP - Circulating water pump. Bolted to the engine block. If you ever replace it, get a marine application for that too. Internals are different for longer life expectancy than an automotive application.

Glad you resolved the issue.

Who wooda' thunk?

John 3:16-18
Old 11-10-2017, 10:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
CWP - Circulating water pump. Bolted to the engine block.

Glad you resolved the issue.

Who wooda' thunk?

What is the difference between this and the raw water pump? Are there two pumps on the engine? My raw water pump is bolted to the engine block.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:02 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
What is the difference between this and the raw water pump? Are there two pumps on the engine? My raw water pump is bolted to the engine block.
The RWP is bolted to the end crank shaft. It's function is to suck water from the lake and push it to the CWP.

The CWP is bolted to the engine block above the crank shaft and circulates the water inside the engines water passages to cool the engine/exhaust.

RWP

CWP

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 11-10-2017, 11:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

#stilllearning

Thanks!