Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 10-12-2017, 10:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2016 X23 6.2 Ilmor
Lets talk drones

Looking to possibly get a drone but dont want to spend $1000. Can I get a decent one for$300-$400?. If so what would you guys recommend? Looking to use it over water to get good surf and wakeboard videos after I learn to fly it.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:53 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
Looking to possibly get a drone but dont want to spend $1000. Can I get a decent one for$300-$400?. If so what would you guys recommend? Looking to use it over water to get good surf and wakeboard videos after I learn to fly it.
Interested in the response....

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 10-13-2017, 07:32 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '07 X2
not sure what is out there for your price point. About a year ago I started looking and while I didn't want to spend the $1000 you mention, after researching it became obvious that is what my budget needed to be. With flying over water, chasing skiers, boarders, surfers it also became obvious that you want an extremely stable drone and also need to invest in extra extra batteries.

I ended with a phantom 4 but recently have seen many excellent videos from a Mavic pro too. Both base package can be $1000 without the extras. The phantoms are big, and very stable, the Mavic is lightweight and small but with same tech.

Good luck with your search.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:23 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X-30 MCX
A used or refurbished phantom is probably your best bet but likely still over your budget.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:52 AM

Boat: 06 X30
I keep going back and forth on a drone purchase. Mostly because I don't think I'd get enough use out of it. I don't do a lot of video stuff as it is so would a drone really make me want to?

It's not like I ever really need to be talk into purchasing new toys. If I want something bad enough I just buy it. It's not like the wife cares what I spend money on.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 10-13-2017, 09:15 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '07 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I keep going back and forth on a drone purchase. Mostly because I don't think I'd get enough use out of it. I don't do a lot of video stuff as it is so would a drone really make me want to?
I view the drone as an extension of the video I already take out on the boat. It provides me another great camera angle to edit in, like any camera angle, it gets a little boring if the edit is all one perspective.

I bought it for 90% on boat usage but find myself enjoying flying on land too, it is cool.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2016 X23 6.2 Ilmor
I'll wait. A thousand dollar flying video camera seems way out of my logic.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
I'll wait. A thousand dollar flying video camera seems way out of my logic.
That's what I tell myself. Probably more in the $1500-$1700 all in on a good one with the needed extras. I've always been the don't spend $500 on something now just to find out you want the $1500 model later.

So in the end, for me, it comes down to cost vs use.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 10-13-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blmeanie View Post
I view the drone as an extension of the video I already take out on the boat. It provides me another great camera angle to edit in, like any camera angle, it gets a little boring if the edit is all one perspective.

I bought it for 90% on boat usage but find myself enjoying flying on land too, it is cool.
That's what is going to sell me on one. Will I enjoy it enough to just fly. The idea of looking at the world from a different perspective is what I find fun. I do enjoy watch other peoples flight videos for sure.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:50 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
look for a used or refurbished mavic (700)

Phantom 3 adv would be decent too

then you can make videos like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjEM5CakIVE