Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 10-16-2017, 02:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharmon203 View Post
Look at the Bebop 2 for a good learning drone. It handles the wind like a champ. 24mins of flight time. You can get the FPV kit for about 500. I was able to get one pretty cheap under this, but it's a great drone to see if you want to continue up in value.

https://www.amazon.com/Parrot-Bebop-...ywords=bebop+2
but lots of them have just "flown" away.. now I really don't know if it is user issues or the device itself... all the reviews seem to indicate either allot of dummy's or a real issue with them just flying away...
Old 10-16-2017, 04:40 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2005 MariStar 245 SS 6.0L Crusader. Previous boat: 1989 Mirage Intimidator 270 with twin 350 Magnums
Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
I just can't stand the thought of anything north of $500 flying away .. to never never land...
Take offs are optional. Landings are mandatory.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '07 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
If it were me ... I would wait for like version 7 or 8 of these things to come out... they are just not ready for prime time yet.. especially at a reasonable price... there needs to be more players.. or do it yourself kits... It would appear that most of the problems are with software... I just can't stand the thought of anything north of $500 flying away .. to never never land...

Maybe I could tape 5 $100 bills together and watch them in the wind...
I own a drone, a Phantom 4. I belong to a forum or two that are DJI focused and scare you with the stories of the fly-aways. Most are pilot error although not too many admit it or believe it until the log files are examined and clear cause of the mishap is shown. The % of flyaways likely are very low, forums tend to bring out the complaints in volume long before the praises.

I think generally the technology has out punted the capabilities of the average purchaser. These machines are quite sophisticated. I read the manual a few times, cover to cover and watched a BUNCH of youtube videos to understand what to do, how to do it, what to expect. Lots probably don't, they probably take it out of the box, charge it up, and go.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 ProStar 190
I have a 3DR Solo (actually 2). The company jumped out of the consumer drone business and liquidated inventory. They use a GoPro, and bundles sold for $299 complete with extra batteries and backpacks.
Killer drone, and the cost of entry was awesome. Yep, they can all fly away, but there are things you can do to reduce that risk (yep, like reading the manual, as was mentioned).
Drones are a lot of fun, and really not toys. Be safe, fly in sight, and enjoy the pictures and videos you can grab!

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

"5 out of 4 people have a problem with statistics..."