Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 07-29-2018, 03:11 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft VRS 230
Some people should NOT own a boat!

I am a new MC guy... I have been looking for a 230 vrs as a good family boat to start out with as our young kids are starting to learn water sports. The old boat we've got is great, it's just not a mc. Searching and searching I finally found one (02' with the LTR), of course it had SOME issues. But I was hoping I could make it work for the price. So, last fall I made the purchase and have been working on it ever since. Good thing we still have the old boat to play with! I just can not figure out how someone can own such a wonderful boat and [b]completely[b] destroy it! Motor was junk (oil pump failed as it was a JASPER REMAIN and had a brass pump drive gear). The transmission was puking oil everywhere (ZF 63 IV). That was a nightmare all in itself to rebuild. I think ZF purposely designed this transmission to be not serviceable. Anyway that is now done. The engine compartment was full of "nastyness". All rigging was in terrible shape inside of the sump/engine area. Exhaust boots and flaps are junk, couldn't find the flaps so I've made a set (which I now have available for sale, just PM me if you are interested in purchasing a set). Engine and transmission mounts were totally junk and needed to be rebuild/machined. Upholstery is original and should all be done. BOTTOM paint was on the hull. WOW, that stuff sucks. Finally after 2 months of picking away, that is all off. Now time for gelcoat patching, filling of the air voids (in the hull layup), sanding, sanding, sanding, then buffing. Trailer (Reliable with no parts available)... Bunks: junk, lights and wiring: junk, rollers: junk, brakes: all junk, swing out tongue: frozen, front bow stow guide plates: bent, bow winch safety lock, smashed. Teak swim platform needed rebuilding/restoration along with the aluminum mounts (which all got powder coated along with the pylon supports). It just feels good to vent about this because it feels like the project that never ends. I must be crazy for taking this on. Am I crazy? Not sure when it will be ready for the water, just have to keep making progress.
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2018, 04:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
There's no accounting for the carelessness of some people
Old 07-29-2018, 05:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1980,1984, Stars and stripes,1971 AquaCraft Drag boat, 1991 American Skier
Yes, you are so right " Some people should NOT own a boat" LOL
I say that every time I see a boat day after day sitting in a yard uncovered.
You must of got that 02 Cheap, To bring it home.
Good luck, ya got lots to do on it.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:31 PM

Boat: XT22
They abused and neglected it, and you bought it? It kills me to see a boat neglected like that, but why did you pursue it? Good on you if you can resurrect it.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:50 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
They abused and neglected it, and you bought it? It kills me to see a boat neglected like that, but why did you pursue it? Good on you if you can resurrect it.
Hopefully it was next to free!

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 07-29-2018, 08:14 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '87 PS 190
I thought mine was rough! Wow, my hat is off to you! Your hard work will pay off and you will have a beautiful boat. Keep your chin up!
Old 07-29-2018, 09:41 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X2, MCX
Wow, thatís quite a list!

Was it a saltwater boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2018, 11:02 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft VRS 230
Surprisingly no, this just happens after years of neglect and all summers sitting in the water as well as having water in the bilge. These boats are good but not built to handle the water like a commercial vessel which never comes out of the water!

Tags
engine, exhaust, gelcoat repair, trailer, transmission