Originally Posted by CrashCourse316 View Post
get a bigger stick
^LMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Grappling hook anchor is what we used to use
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
As a heads up PSA, anyone who happens to be diving in the water pulling/setting courses and buoys should carry a knife/scabbard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 PS190 View Post
Why not run a retrieval bouy or retrieval line to shallower water?
^^All great ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottagerGreg View Post
Scuba gear for the win. Scuba gear/tank makes it an easy task
My scuba tips:

1. Take a knife – always attached to your INNER calf.

2. Know your gear inside and out and be a good enough diver to be able to everything with your eyes closed

3. Remember SAFE – Slowly Ascend From Every Dive – do not pass your slowest/smallest exhaust bubble

4. Probably best to set up a set max bottom time. If you’re in a murky lake, you won’t be seeing your buddy even 5 ft from you. Boat can bang on something and the diver will hear it and come up

5. Use a buoy line to control your ascent whenever possible.

6. You can make yourself positive buoyancy and control your ascent via a buoy line. This will avoid you from kicking upwards to ascend and stirring the silt.

7. Keep in mind, you may bounce dive so much your computer won’t help. I know I don’t use one for slalom course diving.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: b
I have watched a group at a lake use a scuba air tank. They have some float system attached, air hose to shore, and float it up when time to use.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomjunkie View Post

3. Remember SAFE – Slowly Ascend From Every Dive – do not pass your slowest/smallest exhaust bubble
At how many feet of descent should you start practicing this?
Old 08-10-2018, 05:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
At how many feet of descent should you start practicing this?
descent? You can go down as fast as you can clear your ears. it's coming up you must go slow, from any depth.

Coming up, I am always following my dive computer, which is geared towards a super conservative ascent rate: 1/2 ft per second (30 ft per min).

In class yrs ago without a pc, we were taught 1 ft per second, or 60 ft per minute.

I come up at the recommended rate per my PC or if I have no PC by watching the bubbles.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 NXT22 Prior 2002 Maristar 230 VRS
I have never SCUBA dove, but I have had cases in my practice that are horror stories in three feet of water where folks died probably learning a maneuver that is no longer taught. You guys here know more about the dangers of these type of things but ascent is something that has steered me away from ever trying diving with a tank.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 basstracker, 2000 Targa 210, 2007 mastercraft CSX..
deep water

It has been a while since I last dove, but looks like at 20’ you don't need to do decompression stops.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 basstracker, 2000 Targa 210, 2007 mastercraft CSX..
deep water

Hell!!..... I can remember in my dive training, we dove down 50’, and had to practice an emergency accent. That was really fun when you popped up out of the water really fast. But right after we had to go back down to come up, the right way.

Diving at 20’ is noting, now going 50’ down is a different story.

Last edited by waterbuffalo; 08-10-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X-Star 2009 X-Star (SOLD) 2003 X2 (SOLD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashCourse316 View Post
LOL. there is a lot to be learned from The Office. but for real, the water level is up 4' that is nuts....What happens to all the docks that were 3 feet above water level at the beginning of the season? Lost at sea?

Our lake can go up 30 ft since it’s a corps lake for flood control. All docks are floating docks. It also drops 15 ft in winter and docks are sitting on the ground.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
To O.P.'s question:
What is the centerline made of? If it's strong enough drag a fluke anchor and hook it that way. Worked for us for years in roughly 30 feet of water.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:03 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDye View Post
I have watched a group at a lake use a scuba air tank. They have some float system attached, air hose to shore, and float it up when time to use.
Commercially wally skier bought the old accufloat course patents. Probably an accufloat that you descrubed. Various DIY versions. My favorite involved 5 gallon buckets with ballast in it and a small wheelbarrow inner tube with the valve core out. You run those tubes to the boom and tie the buckets below your bouys. When aired up the tubes inflate and up it comes. Buckets have to be ballasted correctly a good method is to buy used weight plates from play it again sports.