Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 10-27-2013, 05:50 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
Get off'n my lawn! Go on, get outta here!

Dang whippersnappers!
Old 10-27-2013, 06:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
... When I pull my drain plugs, I normally have to stick a screwdriver in the hole to knock the scale loose before the engine will drain correctly. With a valve in place, you'd never be able to do that.
That X 100!!!
Old 10-27-2013, 06:53 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timr245 View Post
Attachment 102556

This what I did on both sides. ALL stainless ran about $110. You can skimp on valves if ya want, but that's not my thing.
I guess buying a new engine when this one detonates to death is your thing...

I would be VERY concerned that the knock sensor is not operating as designed. With your knock sensor not properly mounted on the cylinder block the sensor can not detect vibrations thus can not adjust timing and reduce spark knock. Some knock sensors are mounted in different locations but the manufacturer tunes them for specific installations. This modification is a very bad idea...

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 10-27-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwroblew View Post
I want to add ball valves on the block drain plugs were the knock sensors go. If I put a tee there, with the knock sensor on one end and the ball valve on the other, will the sensor still work properly?
I spent some time thinking about this... why add a valve? The cooling system is not under and real pressure. I addition the knock sensor does not need to be over torqued. I put a keep a little anti-sieze on threads and install and torque an 1/8th of a turn - just tight enough to keep it from turning itself out.

Always need a wrench to remove that 1/8th of a turn...

I also agree with James... adding the other parts can change resonance of engine block - thus allowing for sensing errors. The knock sensor is a very sensitive microphone...

I would not do it.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timr245 View Post
Attachment 102556

This what I did on both sides. ALL stainless ran about $110. You can skimp on valves if ya want, but that's not my thing.

This can be a very bad idea. The resonance frequency of the knock sensor is matched to the knock frequency of the engine at that location.

Move the sensor away from the block, and essentially dampen the frequency with the stainless steel fittings, and you are possibly shifting the frequency of vibration at the knock sensor.

This is a very similiar knock sensor,

http://delphi.com/pdf/ppd/sensors/et_broadband.pdf

It all depends on how the frequency was shifted and dampened. I personally wouldn't do it.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 x7
I was thinking about doing this for late fall and early spring season, when the nights frequently dip below freezing between skiing. Agree it does not take long to pull the knock sensor.. I can pull both knock sensors drain the manifolds and blow out the heater before the other guy has the boat wiped down. But doing it 3 to 4 times a week gets old.

If I was to do this, leaning away from it, I would at least keep the knock sensor in its original orientation. And wouldn't you hear the pinging of pre-detonation anyway
Old 10-29-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwroblew View Post
I was thinking about doing this for late fall and early spring season, when the nights frequently dip below freezing between skiing. Agree it does not take long to pull the knock sensor.. I can pull both knock sensors drain the manifolds and blow out the heater before the other guy has the boat wiped down. But doing it 3 to 4 times a week gets old.

If I was to do this, leaning away from it, I would at least keep the knock sensor in its original orientation. And wouldn't you hear the pinging of pre-detonation anyway
The knock sensor hears it way before you will - especially under the dog house. Musicians tune their instruments to achieve the right sound - which includes resonance.

Hey it's your boat and your time... just because the forum disagrees does not mean you have to listen.

I would contact Indmar - the folks there are very nice and see what they have to say... I am sure they would agree with us... But again your boat... run 93 - alcohol free gas... you may not have any problems...

IMO - I could not sleep at night... I have had two people I know here on this board that have engine work done... it's not fun and especially not cheap. JMHO.