Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2018, 11:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 XT20
Engine warming magnet

Has anyone used one of these engine warming magnets over the winter? I would still winterize, but this seems like a good idea. Any thoughts or experiences?
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2018, 01:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft X Star
I have used one for late fall it was 200watts. I didn't like how it was always on. It would be nice to have a thermostat. Worked well though just slap it on the oil pan, and close the engine hatch.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:09 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2019 XT22
So...could this device delay winterizing a few weeks by ensuring the engine block doesn't freeze? If so, that could be very interesting. I guess it wouldn't protect ballast pumps and other things that can freeze. I am always trying to extend the season here in MN!
Old 10-17-2018, 03:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Quote:
Has anyone used one of these engine warming magnets over the winter? I would still winterize, but this seems like a good idea.
once winterized, there's no need to keep your engine warm
Old 10-17-2018, 03:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2011 X25
I would only consider using something like that if you plan on using your boat in the colder months of the year. Around here it can be 70 one day and 25 the next, then back up to 60s and sunny a few days later. This would be ideal for people like me who still have the option to boat in December but want to make sure nothing bad happens if it gets cold at night. No reason to use this if you have winterized your boat.

Something like this on a timer would be nice for the nights when it gets below freezing around here.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '13 X2 Pro Gen2, '98 30th Anniv PS190- SOLD-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun R View Post
I would only consider using something like that if you plan on using your boat in the colder months of the year. Around here it can be 70 one day and 25 the next, then back up to 60s and sunny a few days later. This would be ideal for people like me who still have the option to boat in December but want to make sure nothing bad happens if it gets cold at night. No reason to use this if you have winterized your boat.

Something like this on a timer would be nice for the nights when it gets below freezing around here.
It may be an option for the scenario above but I wouldn't rely on that preventing freeze damage to your boat. If you think about it the huge mass of the engine, block and water in the block it would be the last thing to freeze in your boat. It would take several hours of sub 32 degree temperatures before the block is cold enough for any ice to start forming let alone cause engine damage.

The items with less mass will cool down faster and likely be damaged before I would worry about the engine. Thinks like showers, ballast pumps/plumbing, heater cores/hoses, fiberglass muffler, sea strainer etc. would be my first concern with freezing that this option does not address.

Would be better off with a thermostat controlled area heater within the engine compartment itself to keep everything warm within the engine bay. (Except the cockpit heater core if you have one) However you have to be comfortable with an unattended heater running inside your boat. Not sure I could sleep well thinking about that.

Bottom line is don't expect the suggested warming magnet to solve all your freezing problems or you may be severely disappointed.

SOLD - 1998 30th Anniversary ProStar 190

Old 10-18-2018, 01:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X-30 6.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS LS1 View Post
Would be better off with a thermostat controlled area heater within the engine compartment itself to keep everything warm within the engine bay. (Except the cockpit heater core if you have one) However you have to be comfortable with an unattended heater running inside your boat. Not sure I could sleep well thinking about that.
Aside from the worry wendy part about an unattended heater this post is spot on. We use a T-Stat controlled heater that kicks on at 36 degrees and wont turn off until it heats the engine compartment up to 40. Works like a charm, isn't constantly running, and enables us to use the boat throughout the year when the water is cold but the air warms its way up.

2017 Nissan Maxima SL

Lonestar Masterbash
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=85369

Texas A&M '21
Old 10-18-2018, 04:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Prostar (previous boat 2002 197)
I have one. I have only had it one winter. They get a little hotter than I liked so I put a small welding blanket under it (to keep heat away from the fiberglass) although probably not necessary.
You can buy a device called a thermo-cube that will turn it on and off automatically. Just plug it in upstream of the heater. I tested by putting it in the freezer to make sure it turned on and left it out to confirm it turned back off. Then connected it to the boat at the out at the dock. I would not trust for final winter freeze protection but like someone else mentioned, good to get you to the end of the season (or early start in the spring.) Also if you live near/by the boat, you can add a light so that you can see it is on without getting inside the boat or storage shed. Might allow some people to drive by without getting through gates, doors, etc.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:51 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2008 197
I have used them on trucks in sub zero temps. They get very hot and use a lot of electricity. If you just want to extend your season I use a string of Christmas tree lights. I have had temps in the twenties and the engine compartment stays in the 50’s.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:00 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS LS1 View Post
If you think about it the huge mass of the engine, block and water in the block it would be the last thing to freeze in your boat. It would take several hours of sub 32 degree temperatures before the block is cold enough for any ice to start forming let alone cause engine damage.

The items with less mass will cool down faster and likely be damaged before I would worry about the engine. Thinks like showers, ballast pumps/plumbing, heater cores/hoses, fiberglass muffler, sea strainer etc. would be my first concern with freezing that this option does not address.
But the engine is made of cast iron or aluminum and they conduct heat much better than many other materials in the boat, even when coupled to air.

What is the water temperature? If it's much warmer than the air, leave it in- the water will lose heat to the boat and the bilge temperature will stay higher than the air temperature.