Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 04-15-2016, 09:53 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 84 Stars and Stripes, 351W
Title and Register a VINless trailer

Anyone ever have to do this? I have an 84 Stars and Stripes on the original MC trailer. No VIN, but the state DMV (Oregon) wants one in order to title and reg it.

What's usually done in this instance?
Old 04-15-2016, 10:11 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X-30 MCX
Maybe a call to MC to see if you can't get the original VIN by matching your boat? Then put it on your trailer. Short of that, I say ask your DMV. Rules seem to vary by locale and in the end, they're the ones you have to make happy.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:18 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 84 Stars and Stripes, 351W
A happy DMV, ha!
Old 04-15-2016, 10:24 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 08 SANTE 230
I'd call the BMV, on our state when there are issues like this they want to inspect what they're registering. You can't be the first guy with this problem.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:55 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X25, 2012
I just finished dealing with this issue. I got my boat from a guy that lived in ND and that is a no title state for trailers. But MN requires titles.

I had to basically fill out a special form from the DMV stating how I acquired the boat and a trail of documents as why there was not title and where the guy before me got it from. They called it a facts sheet. Had a bill of sale written up and signed. had to get a signed facts sheet as to why there was not title. Kinda of a pain but I got them to take the stuff after 3 tries at the DMV.

however I will say my boat was 2012 so its history wasnt all that long.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
I think if you register it as a home-made trailer, you can get a plate and they will assign a VIN for it. At least that's how it work here in Arkansas for an older trailer build before trailer VIN's.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by drschemel View Post
I think if you register it as a home-made trailer, you can get a plate and they will assign a VIN for it. At least that's how it work here in Arkansas for an older trailer build before trailer VIN's.
I had the same deal a couple years ago with a trailer that we didn't have a title for because it was abandoned at a family members rental property. We did as stated above and did it as a homemade trailer and had to stamp it with a VIN number provided by the state of Arkansas. Your state might have something similar.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 XStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by drydog131 View Post
I had the same deal a couple years ago with a trailer that we didn't have a title for because it was abandoned at a family members rental property. We did as stated above and did it as a homemade trailer and had to stamp it with a VIN number provided by the state of Arkansas. Your state might have something similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drschemel View Post
This is the process in NC too
Old 04-15-2016, 07:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC Tristar 190 OB, 1989
Basically you have to figure out what Oregon says. I had to do this in Indiana with my '89 trailer because I bought it from original owner and back when new Indiana didn't title trailers then. In Indiana I had to fill out a form, get a number from BMV, have a nameplate engraved and rivet to my trailer, then have State police inspection.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:03 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1997 Maristar 225 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith2230 View Post
Maybe a call to MC to see if you can't get the original VIN by matching your boat? Then put it on your trailer. Short of that, I say ask your DMV. Rules seem to vary by locale and in the end, they're the ones you have to make happy.
I had the same problem, not able to read the trailer number and the dmv would not issue me a license plate.
I called Mastercraft and they were able to match the boat vin to the original trailer paperwork, they sent me a new trailer vin plate free of charge.

My boat is a 1997 and they had all the paperwork and were very friendly to deal with.

I spoke to Linda Kiser , very kind and helpful lady, even thanked me for being a mastercraft boat owner.