Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 04-06-2016, 10:22 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC Tristar 190 OB, 1989
Boat House - Hoist setup

So I've recently picked up a 2004 Nautique with my parents and they have bought a lake house. We have some reconfiguring on the boat hoist to do since it was set up for a pontoon. It should be a 4000# hoist (I'm still working to confirm). The boat is rated at 3,830 dry weight, which I know if very close with the lift. I am working with Lunmar the manufacturer to see how to upgrade with seems very simple ala longer cables and pulleys reducing the pull from 1:1 to 1:2.
My questions are on the bunks and boat house structure for anyone who might know.

Do most people use 2x10 or 2x12's vertical for bunks?

For the boat house, the cables are suspended from 2-2x6's that make up the joists. They hang about 6" from where the joist rests on 2-2x10 beams which are supported by 4" steel posts. The 2-2x6 joists are about a 10' span across beams. My question is do you think the 2-2x6 joists need to be beefed up to a bigger joist where the hoist hangs. Here are couple pics to give a general idea even though most structure is covered up by a ceiling right now.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2016, 01:19 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft, Prostar190, 351W
I'm interested to hear how this works out. We have a family cottage with a boathouse, and a few of us have been talking about putting hoists in it for years. How deep are your slips?
Old 04-06-2016, 01:51 PM
MC Fanatic

I'm not quite sure on depth yet. I'll bet out there this weekend to get some of this info and take some additional measurements. I plan to measure depth at front of slip and at each cradle.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:01 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
I'd look at how others with the same type boat house close do it. Might get lucky and they installed it and know exactly what works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 Mastercraft X10
My beams are two 2x12's sandwiched together directly over my column/post. A 2x6 seems really to small to support the weight you are looking at. My bunks are two 2x8s sandwiched together vertically with a 2x6 mounted horizontally on the 2x8's. Your boathouse looks very nice.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Prostar (previous boat 2002 197)
2x6 sounds small but then again it is practially sitting on top of something (6" away). If you are worried, simplest would be to just double it. put a 2x6 next to it and put a few screws in it. Keep screws inches away for the holes in board holding your brackets.

As far as the lift being maxed out, add a pulley in the cable at the cradle and take the cable back up to the ceiling and support it. This will cut the speed in half but double the lift capacity of the motor/plate assembley. (read up on block and tackle to understand the math/physics).
Old 04-07-2016, 06:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Thanks for the input thus far. It looks like I'm going to definitely go 2x12 vertically for bunks. I measured where boat rests on trailer bunks to bottom of skegs and if I put the 2x12's in same spot as trailer bunks the skegs wouldn't clear the cradles! So I'll be moving them closer together on the cradle to make the boat sit higher.
Woodrowskis- they are already a double 2x6 but I'm thinking I need more than that. You are correct that there isn't much span though since they attach so close to where they rest on the beam
Old 04-07-2016, 10:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 Mastercraft X10
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer12 View Post
Thanks for the input thus far. It looks like I'm going to definitely go 2x12 vertically for bunks. I measured where boat rests on trailer bunks to bottom of skegs and if I put the 2x12's in same spot as trailer bunks the skegs wouldn't clear the cradles! So I'll be moving them closer together on the cradle to make the boat sit higher.
Woodrowskis- they are already a double 2x6 but I'm thinking I need more than that. You are correct that there isn't much span though since they attach so close to where they rest on the beam
I spoke with Max at MC when changing my boat lift. They recommend the lift bunks be set apart at 44" inside deminsion.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:01 AM
MC Fanatic

I emailed the factory at Nautique and they recommended putting them under primary stringers. I haven't measures that compared to the trailer bunks yet
Old 04-08-2016, 10:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Prostar (previous boat 2002 197)
Thought you meant 2 qty as in one at each end. Sorry i missed that.
I wanted to check and make sure before I spoke. I looked at my crossbeams and a couple of docks near me. Several of us have single 3x8s (one on each end) as our crossmembers.
The 2-2x6s you have is just shy of the cross section I have (you have 16.5 sq.in, I have 18.125). My boat was 2850 lbs or so. My neighbors boat is much heavier (Supara Wakeboard boat), I think he has the same 3x8. Let me see how his stuff is holding up. I'll also try to remember to take pictures of the pulley I am talking about to fix your lift.
A couple folks before you have inquired on the same thing. it does make it go slower but you can always be wiping the boat down, winding ropes, and hanging gear while it is moving.