Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 04-08-2016, 09:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 Mastercraft X10
I also have pulleys attached to my shackles on the cradle. As woodrowskis mentioned, it greatly increases weight lifting capacity. Similar to lifting "245lbs" on a machine (with pulleys) versus 245lbs of free weights. The downside to pulleys is that it greatly decreases the speed the lift raises and lowers. You can change the gear siz to help however you have to be careful not to go outside the range of your motor.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:34 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 197 WTT / 1992 Barefoot Sanger
send me pm and I can get you detailed pictures of how I built mine. Very similar concept, using steel pipes, etc.

I have 2x10s as a frame throughout my overhead roof system, and made custom rafters to be able to tuck a boat with a tower up into the roof. For the lifting points, I placed (2) 2x10s perpendicular to the 2x10 framing joists. All 2x10s are also bolted to the steel pipes.

If you add a pulley, yes you'll be able to lift more, but your speed of lift gets cut in 1/2 and depending on how far you need to lift/lower you may run out of room for the cable to wind in the cable winder you have pictured.

For a 2004 Nautique, you should have no issue with lifting the boat (no issue from the motor system itself).

As for bunk set-up, I would make the lift mirror the trailer bunk set-up.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2016, 08:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC Tristar 190 OB, 1989
Kyfooter, thanks a bunch for that offer! I was at the lake house and confirmed something I was wrong about and happy to be. The joists the hoist is hung from are 2-2x12's and they sit on 2-2x12's that are bolted into steel posts. I feel great about this and am now focusing on the hoist itself and bunks.
I confirmed it is a 3k rated hoist as is and will need upgrades with longer cables and pulleys to essentially make it a 6k lift.
I will keep this updated with pics as that happens
Old 04-13-2016, 09:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer12 View Post
Do most people use 2x10 or 2x12's vertical for bunks?
Neither... many of us use 2x6 on the horizontal!

Check it out, this is a very popular bunk system sold by Boat Lift and Dock. This setup holds my '98 PS 190 perfectly (rated for up to 4500 lbs). Actually, the 2x6 mimics the trailer bunks very well and they deflect ever so slightly to support the stringers the entire length of the boat.

http://www.boatliftanddock.com/p-518...-bunk-kit.aspx

Old 04-14-2016, 12:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Prostar (previous boat 2002 197)
I took photos of the pulley for doubling the lift capacity. I canm nevr remember to how to post a photo on this site. Until I saw your new message updating your crossmember size, I thought this was a perfect fix. Add second set of 2x6s to half the load in the support beam while you add and get a spot to add a connection for the pulley. If you have 2 qty 2x10s, you should be able to connect both a pulley and the fixed end on that beam. I have not posted a photo in years, let's see if it works.

Also, my neighbors Supra launch 22 is on a single 3x8 on each end.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:42 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC Tristar 190 OB, 1989
Here is the update, finally finished this weekend! Used pulleys at the cradles and got longer cables and restrung them to be able to double them back so the 3k lift became a 6k lift. I had to add some hangers to the overhead wooden beams. Also, went with 2x12 vertical board only for bunks. I saw a lot of boats of all sizes and shapes on the vertical bunk like this so I thought it should be fine. Here is the final result..
Attached Images