Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 11-13-2018, 04:13 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2008 X14, w/ LY6 400HP w/ 1.22 Ratio Tran
Quote:
Originally Posted by LipschitzWrath View Post
Where do the group buy threads hang out?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Yeah, you might have just missed one on MasterCraft Boat Owners.

I do find it amazing how many boats are coming back from Canada, and when I noticed your registration numbers I said, hey... me too!! Where abouts in BC?

Attached Images

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 11-13-2018, 04:15 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Yeah, you might have just missed one on MasterCraft Boat Owners.

I do find it amazing how many boats are coming back from Canada, and when I noticed your registration numbers I said, hey... me too!! Where abouts in BC?

Just over the border in Vancouver.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:38 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2008 X14, w/ LY6 400HP w/ 1.22 Ratio Tran
Quote:
Just over the border in Vancouver.

Same here!! The theft capital of North America! Private owner?

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 11-13-2018, 04:40 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Same here!! The theft capital of North America! Private owner?
Yes sir. Dude was a self made millionaire and was graduating to a large cabin cruiser.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:41 PM
TT Regular

Next question - on closed cooling LY6's, what is cooled with coolant? Block? Exhaust manifolds?

Old 11-13-2018, 04:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 280 SST, 2005, Twin 375 Crusader
  1. Batteries / Switches / Breaker?

See attached photo of battery switches. I have 4, plus a circuit breaker.
    Is this all factory? That does not look factory to me. I have one switch on port and on switch on starboard, one for each battery. each switch has a 1,2,both, and off position.

The owner's manual leads me to believe I should only have 3. I played around with them yesterday and came to the following conclusions. The top middle (in the photo) is for the starboard engine. Top right is for port engine. Bottom row is to combine starboard and port. But what does that top left one do? only one way to find out, switch and test everything.

Speaking of that, how many batts came on X80's? mine has two

I have three - one on the starboard side in a box, two on the port side. One is in a box, and one isn't. I'm guessing the one that isn't in a box was added? Probably, was added to run accessories. Both of my factory battories spots are in a case. FYI check to make sure your battery case has a drain hole, mine didn't. and they sat right under where water came down and literally filled to the top of both batteries. just drilled a hole at the bottom of the case.

Perhaps the 4th mystery battery switch is for that? Anybody know? doesn't sound very stock, so...maybe you could test current flow while in different switch positions.

Lastly, what's the circuit breaker for? breaking circuits...that never changes no matter where it is placed

It appears to be a 40A. Is that stock? Probably not, mine is under the helm dash, simple press button breakers
    Or did it get added? most likely added when all the other stuff was added
    Any ideas? i'm full of ideas, none of them have any evidence

2. Drain Plugs?

How many drain plugs? well your boat obviously has three

All my research up to this indicated that this boat only had the one single center drain plug.
    Correct, stock there is only one drain plug
    However, I think I have 3. Again, see attached photo, right next to the exhaust tips. It looks like I have 2 more plugs on the transom. This is a true Saltwater Series boat - were the add'l plugs standard on SWS boats?
    ehhh, it's possible it was a factory request. the issues with only one drain plug in the middle is that the water in the back of the boat sits about 3-5 inches worth at the bottom that will not drain out the middle plug. You cannot do a single center plug due to the divider between the engines. so it looks like someone thought thats stupid and added the plugs in there....I'm honestly probably going to do that to mine next season.

It's not a big deal, but I am curious.

3. Washdown system?

Where do they put the tanks, nozzle, fill neck, etc for the washdown system? We have a switch on the dash for a washdown system, so we're curious if we have the washdown. We can only see one fresh tank under the sink and it's very small. I thought the washdown system came with a much bigger tank. So, if this thing does have the washdown system, where should I be looking?
    A bit of advice from Captain Crash.....If you flip the switch and don't hear or see anything happen....you don't have it.....I have switches for two ballast pumps, the washdown, mastercrap speed control, seat heater, and several others that don't do anything.

4. Flush system?

How does the flush system work?screw on your water hose and turn on the water. Youll see the water fill up the clear flush system thing in the engine compartment. I personally didn't even think to close my water intake valve because it worked fine without closing the water intake valve.
    I have the two hose connections on the transom and can see the Perko flush pros down in the engine compartment. Do I just hook up a garden hose and go? yes
    What about if I want to blow out with air?You cant really blow air through the system because there is nowhere for it to go until the engine is running creating the suction from there, and you don't want to run your cooling system on air....

I ask because last night when I went to blow out with air, I got ZERO flow. I am concerned that maybe the flush line had already froze. Possible?Possible, but I wouldnt expect much or any air to get through anyways
    We got home very late so we let it sit out overnight and it was below freezing.

Just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong and there's not a valve somewhere.
    As soon as you start the engine, Go immediately to the clear flush connector and validate you see water flowing. I burned out an impeller and overheated after I broke a seal in that system while working head first on the exhaust system and didn't notice

5. Seat heater?

Our boat has the seat heater option (or at least the switch for it). How long does it take to heat up? if it exists and is working...usually about 1-3 minutes before its noticeable I would say.
    Does the ignition(s) just need to be on in order for it to work?I would assume if there is power to the switch, the item connected to the switch is on...

We are asking because the wife turned it on yesterday and after 10 mins or so, it still was as cold as when we turned it on. I'm assuming they never got the build sheet to you.

What would be the next step to check?
    other than If "you turn it on and it doesn't work" method. go under the dash and check where the wiring for the switch goes to.

It'll probably feel like you made a big mistake on buying that beast until you hit the water next year, or maybe it was just me. it's a blast on the water. very agile for it's size. Disclaimer, everything i said in this post has a chance of being 100% wrong....
Boat: 2005 Maristar 280 SST Twin Crusader 375
Old 11-13-2018, 05:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Oh...side note on winterizing with the flush system...those flush systems require PRESSURIZED liquid flow if your an idiot and don't close the raw water intake valve. They have a spring loaded seal that if not enough pressure nothing will flow when you "accidentally" "forget" to close the water intake valve....I ended up taking off the system and dumped anti freeze direct line to the engine water pump so all good there but now it makes sense on why you would want to close the water intake when using antifreeze tub. if you don't it will just try and suck air from the raw intake.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:04 PM
TT Regular

Crash - are you saying your starboard battery switch is on the starboard side of the boat?

Old 11-13-2018, 05:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Crash - are you saying your starboard battery switch is on the starboard side of the boat?

yes, along with the battery for starboard engine, and same for port. also it looks like yours are mounted on the side. my switches are mounted on the aft wall. closest to the engine....or is that on the aft wall... i cant tell. the ski pylon post is throwing me off.. my post was mounted on the inside wall. I took it out because i sealed the pylon hole to the bilge and also the pylon itself was bent a little and didn't fit right so...I prefer not sinking or taking on extra water by mistake due to a ski pylon hole on a boat that has a stock wake bigger than some sacked out boats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWXw8hZHKsE
Old 11-13-2018, 05:14 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashCourse316 View Post
yes, along with the battery for starboard engine, and same for port. also it looks like yours are mounted on the side. my switches are mounted on the aft wall. closest to the engine....or is that on the aft wall... i cant tell. the ski pylon post is throwing me off.. my post was mounted on the inside wall. I took it out because i sealed the pylon hole to the bilge and also the pylon itself was bent a little and didn't fit right so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWXw8hZHKsE
The battery switches are mounted to the aft wall (that divides that storage compartment from the engine compartment).

I didn't see one on the starboard side, probably because pretty much that entire compartment is occupied by a sub box.

Perhaps what I see is a relocation setup since that switch would be no longer be accessible in stock location.

I'll have to take a real close look at mine.

BTW - the ski pylon hole on this boat is already sealed. The pylon sits abeam, along the aft divider wall that the batt switches are mounted too. You can see. This arrangement in the photo.