Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2017, 01:46 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 89 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkooch View Post
Hi All -

1) I’ve heard rumors that wakesurfing causes serious damage to lakefront shores. Are these rumors true?

2) Boat stands for Break Out Another Thousand, is this true that owning a boat is one of the most expensive “recreational toy” purchases you can make?

3) I like the idea of wakeboarding, but it seems more dangerous than wakesurfing. How do I make wakeboarding easier on the body?

What are some other questions around cost, problems/concerns, comparisons, and reviews would you like a boat dealer to talk about?

Thanks!
1: really depends on the lake. Smaller lakes it can do large amounts of damage to, however larger lakes and reservoirs if the boats are not right along shoreline the wake dissipates enough to not really make a difference.

2: absolutely true they do stand for bust out another thousand, or they are a hole in the water in which you throw money into. If you can not afford to keep expensive maintenance on them do not buy one.

3: try slalom skiing and footing then try wakeboarding you will see it is not that bad so quit complaining and man up

other questions, concerns. yes that is a V8 in there, No top end is not 80 MPH these are tug boats they are not go fast boats. if you want a go fast boat go buy something else and quit wasting everyone's time.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:38 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Achilles sg124
I love tough questions here are a few questions I would ask?
1. How come mastercraft does not have any floor panels?
2. How will you replace a ballast tank or a fuel tank if there are no more fuel panels?
3. Is it true that only the factory can fix a fuel tank or a ballast tank now that there are no floor panels.
4. Once my warranty is up will I have to throw away my boat if my fuel tank or ballast tank leaks since there are no more fuel panels?
5. Why would mastercraft even build a boat with no floor panels when you can't service anything?
6 Did you know that Nautique and Malibu both still have floor panels?
7. Why does the NXT cost more than 50k when every comercial mastercraft ever made said 50k all day?
8. Did mastercraft mean 50k in euros not USD because the NXT always seem to be priced in the high 60's?

Hope that helps.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:48 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 ProTour 190 & 2006 X9
Why can't MasterCraft use decent fuel pumps?
Old 03-08-2017, 09:55 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X-30 MCX
If I were new to it most of the stuff I'd want to know about the dealer isn't going to tell me. Stuff like what are the known issues with this boat?

I think your original question about breaking out another thousand fits into that category. The dealer is trying to make a sell. They're not going to go through the itemized list of what storage, maintenance and God forbid something breaks is going to cost. They'll point you to the newest MC you can afford that has warranty coverage and talk about the 5 year warranty. I don't really expect anything different and you probably shouldn't do anything different if you want to keep your job. Encouraging them to get on this site seems like a good compromise. The forum is pretty good about giving the good, the bad and certainly help without the conflict of interest of making a sell.

When I bought my first MC it had been years since driving an inboard and I had never trailer loaded one before. A little lesson on that would have been a nice touch.

Do you have regular customer events? The dealer near me has a surf club and events where you can meet some similarly minded people and even get behind a few different boats. Sure these cost the dealer but I can't think of a better tool to get newbies some experience and get them excited about buying boats (or existing owners newer boats) and gear. Hopefully the boating etiquette rubs off on them too!
Old 03-08-2017, 10:06 AM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Big cans?

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 03-08-2017, 10:07 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X-30 MCX
The fuel pumps are what they are and I don't believe the problem is just an MC one. Part of the problem is that the fuel system are required to be open. Not saying they shouldn't from a safety aspect, but certainly introduces moisture and possibly other contaminants into the fuel cell cars don't have to deal with. Ethanol blended gasoline is another source contributor.

From what I can tell MC ditched the access panels to make the boat stronger and allow maximum storage space. I had to cut out my hard tanks and put in ballast bags so I've certainly been affected by that design choice. Would it be nice to keep the boat 100% original? Sure, but I'm not crying about it and changing out to bags didn't require splitting the hull, was comparatively inexpensive and works better than just the factory ballast. If something were to go wrong with the fuel cell that's another story but what is the likelihood of that happening? Some of it is just the liability of owning a boat.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:28 PM
MC Fanatic

I don't buy the stronger hull excuse. Nautique and Malibus are not falling apart. I think it just costs them less money to do it that way. I personally know two people now who have had to have there decks split in half for warranty work so it does happen. How a manufacture could make a product that cannot be serviced 100 percent to me is a complete fail. I almost pulled the trigger last year on a 08 X2 last year and the lack of floor panels was one of the main reason I decided to look for an even older one this year. Picked up an 05 x2 last week and there is nothing on that boat that I can't replace or fix. I guess most people on here probably will never own a mastercraft out of warranty so it's not a concern to them. I fix equipment for a living so the service factor is what I look at before shiny gelcoat.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X2 with Gen 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
I don't buy the stronger hull excuse. Nautique and Malibus are not falling apart. I think it just costs them less money to do it that way. I personally know two people now who have had to have there decks split in half for warranty work so it does happen. How a manufacture could make a product that cannot be serviced 100 percent to me is a complete fail. I almost pulled the trigger last year on a 08 X2 last year and the lack of floor panels was one of the main reason I decided to look for an even older one this year. Picked up an 05 x2 last week and there is nothing on that boat that I can't replace or fix. I guess most people on here probably will never own a mastercraft out of warranty so it's not a concern to them. I fix equipment for a living so the service factor is what I look at before shiny gelcoat.
For what it's worth, I think that you have a valid concern! I don't plan on replacing my boat every 3-5 years just to stay under warranty. I sure hope that I never have to replace a fuel tank or solid ballast tank!
Old 03-09-2017, 12:38 AM

Boat: XT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
I love tough questions here are a few questions I would ask?
1. How come mastercraft does not have any floor panels?
2. How will you replace a ballast tank or a fuel tank if there are no more fuel panels?
3. Is it true that only the factory can fix a fuel tank or a ballast tank now that there are no floor panels.
4. Once my warranty is up will I have to throw away my boat if my fuel tank or ballast tank leaks since there are no more fuel panels?
5. Why would mastercraft even build a boat with no floor panels when you can't service anything?
6 Did you know that Nautique and Malibu both still have floor panels?
7. Why does the NXT cost more than 50k when every comercial mastercraft ever made said 50k all day?
8. Did mastercraft mean 50k in euros not USD because the NXT always seem to be priced in the high 60's?

Hope that helps.

So I missed it. What under-hull tank failed on your boat and what was the cost?

My '08 X14 needed fuel tank replaced under warranty and MC did just fine with it, and the hull had to be split.

and read my pricepoint boat thread. The NXT 20 can be had highly optioned for under $60K W/ trailer, so I don't get your post entirely
Old 03-09-2017, 01:21 AM
MC Fanatic

[quote=JohnE;1324412]So I missed it. What under-hull tank failed on your boat and what was the cost?

My '08 X14 needed fuel tank replaced under warranty and MC did just fine with it, and the hull had to be split.

and read my pricepoint boat thread. The NXT 20 can be had highly optioned for under $60K W/ trailer, so I don't get your post entirely?

And you were happy with them taking a can opener to your boat. You are much more forgiving than I could ever be in this lifetime. Both people I know were covered under warranty too. My question is what do you do when it fails out of warranty? Gonna cost a fortune and if the factory is not doing the repair is it going to get put back together correct. This I know for sure I will never own a boat that could possibly put me in that situation. Everything that is not supposed to fail always fails in my life and under 60k is not 50k. I don't think there is a 50k NXT that exists. Bedtime for me now. Nighty night!

Tags
boat dealer, dealer, faq, misconceptions