Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2016, 06:15 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Maristar 2000
What slalom ski should I buy?

I am advanced open water slalom skier who takes my skiing very seriously. I am looking to replace my 15 year old HO phantom ski with another HO (so bindings would match). Any slalom skiers with opinions/advice? Deciding between syndicate V type r and super lite cx.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft Prostar 197WTT , 6.0L Ilmor, Mini tower
Vtr and cx are completely different feeling skis. I'm pretty sure HO had a demo program going. Always try before you buy. Also they are releasing a v type x this season. It's shaped similar to the a2 of a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2016, 07:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not an MC
Superlite CX all the way. Get new bindings too.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:10 PM
TT Newbie

Can you elaborate on the v type x?
Old 08-30-2016, 08:13 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 ProTour 190 & 2006 X9
Try out a few and see what you like. My buddy loves his CX, but you could try a Radar Senate or Connelly V. I was set on an HO when shopping for my current ski and ended up on a Radar. The new style bindings are worth getting used to.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:29 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Mastercraft X-30 and 2000 Prostar 190
I had a KD7000 and was in your same category for open water. Wanted to get into something new and bought the HO CX. Liked how it cuts and it is very different in that it sits higher so I did not get as tired as I used to. Started course skiing more seriously and bought a Syndicate A3 which I love. Like the others said, know how you want to use it because they have very different characteristics and try before you buy is the best advice you can get from anyone.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 Prostar 190
Bindings have a standard hole pattern for the front bindings across brands and you can make most bindings fit the rear if they are on a plate (there are only a couple different hole patterns for rear bindings). Well, this was essentially true until HO came up with their direct-connect system, but you can get plates to attach to their direct-connect boots so you can use them on other ski brands.

Regardless, dump your old bindings, too. The new styles are much better -- more comfortable with better support. If you are not skiing in a course then you can probably get on any modern ski at the intermediate or top level and have a lot of fun on it. Skiing outside a course is a lot more forgiving, so the idiosyncrasies of the various skis don't affect the skier as much.

You'll find a lot more ski review information at ballofspray.com, so I suggest checking out that forum. However, most of the skiers on that site are course skiing, so keep that in mind.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
If you are not an aggressive course skier I would suggest the CX
The v-type r is an aggressive ski that wants you up on the front coming into the turn and stacked coming out . If not done correctly it will chatter hard thru the turn
Old 09-04-2016, 01:55 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTour X9 View Post
Try out a few and see what you like. My buddy loves his CX, but you could try a Radar Senate or Connelly V. I was set on an HO when shopping for my current ski and ended up on a Radar. The new style bindings are worth getting used to.
I have been searching Radar and am attracted to the SenAte series? What do you think. Which Senate ski
Old 09-04-2016, 02:29 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Based on the options that you've listed...

CX Superlite!!! I have had one now for about a month or so...This and a bimini for the boat has been best money spent since buying the boat!!!