Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 06-03-2015, 10:50 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
How important is getting 12V at the trigger for an amp?

This may be a silly question, but one of my 2 amps died yesterday. It was an old Rockford Fosgate Punch P400-4. It sits next to a Wetsounds SYN2. The external fuses are fine and the voltmeter reads a solid 12+V at the power terminals on the amp. The trigger is only getting 11ish volts according to the meter. The trigger wire runs from the HU around the bow and to the standard amp area behind the observers seat in my X30. I'm guessing there is voltage drop from the 14ga wire running that distance. It worked fine for several seasons and the SYN2 seems happy to turn on with the 11V signal. My question is if it is worth getting a solid 12v to the trigger input via a relay or am I chasing ghosts and the amp is just shot? Thanks all.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:07 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
How about jumping from your 12+ at the power terminal to the trigger terminal and seeing if it comes on?
Old 06-03-2015, 11:37 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
I would also measure the voltage at the head-unit as well as the head-unit B+ The voltage drop could be in the head-unit, or you may be getting low voltage into the head-unit
Old 06-03-2015, 01:00 PM
MC Devotee

thanks for the suggestions. weird, it powered up this am. sounded horrible going in and out and then worked fine for 30 min. and then turned off. i should have checked all the voltages when it powered up. my thoughts are that it is thermaling and shutting down. there is a Wetsounds HT4 listed in the for sale section. i'm thinking it would be a good replacement.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Most quality stereo shops do use a relay for the triggers. But I'm guessing your fine with the 11v also. Guessing that when the boat is running you likely have more than 11volts also.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: N/A
I wouldn't invest in another piece of equipment until I accurately diagnosed what the true issue is.
Amplifiers/equipment may have slightly different turn-on voltage thresholds. You could have a bit of corrosion internally on one amplifier that can easily be cleaned up with a little spray tuner wash. A small amount of corrosion would be more likely to impact a low current circuit such as the turn-on. I also would go back to MLA's suggestion of measuring the HU turn-on voltage. 14-gauge wire is more than plenty considering the total remote turn-on current draw of less than .1 amp for two amplifiers and the modest distance. Integrity of connections could be another matter. So 11 volts sounds low. Contemporary HUs use a transistor driver to output the turn-on voltage so it is possible to have a low voltage problem here but easily remedied with an external relay even though the amount of current draw wouldn't ordinarily justify it.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X-30 MCX
There's no way you should be getting that kind of voltage drop because of the wire itself. You've got a bad connection somewhere along the path or it's possible your head unit is only sending that much. Check at the head unit and work your way to the amp. I wouldn't trust any crimp connection. Protected soldered connections are what you want.

As mentioned, you can easily test the amp by bridging the battery connection to the remote turn on connection to see if it turns on. The 11 volts may not be part of the issue depending on how sensitive the circuitry in each amp is.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:39 PM
MC Devotee

so i jumped from the 4ga 12v power to the trigger input. worked fine for my ski run today. just put it all back together and i did find a bit of a loose connection along the trigger wire near the HU. not sure if that is the problem as it was a splice to trigger the WS420. measured with the motor running and saw 12.9v at the trigger. i'm about to take my son for a wake boarding run so i'll see if it lasts. hopefully, at least this means my amp isn't dead. thanks for all your help. even if this works, i think i'll still put in a nice waterproof relay. i agree with the above comment that soldered and protected connections are much better than crimps. i try to solder as many of my wires as i can. sometimes its just not feasible for me in tight spaces like under the helm.