Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2017, 01:55 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '94 PS190
anchoring a closed bow?

talk to me about techniques for anchoring a closed bow boat

tying off to stuff really has been my only complaint with the closed bow so far, having to gingerly step over the windshield and laying down to tie stuff off near the water line.
weve been anchoring by tying alongside a buddy's open bow boat but would like to have the ability to throw our own anchor...
what do most folks do? other than buy an open bow..

im picturing stepping over the windshield (carefully!) having the anchor bag handed over, then laying down on the bow, dropping the anchor and tying it off to the bow eye near the water line.
seems easy enough to set as theres not much physical work involved, but i imagine yanking the anchor back up while down low on the bow may be kind of tough?

anyway, what is everyone else doing?

random anchored prostar

Old 08-10-2017, 02:03 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, 1990 Ski Brendella supercomp, 1987 Supra Pirata
I throw the anchor out then climb over the windshield with the rope and tie off. My Supra has a lifting ring so I use that with a Highwayman's hitch knot so I don't have to climb back over the windshield to untie.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
if I had the need to anchor, I would have a double wide cinder block and rig it up like you were putting a cheap buoy on the slalom course in the lake.

cinder block > rope > sub buoy > Red buoy. Attach a short rope with a carabiner hook on it to hook onto your eye (or the back for that matter).
Old 08-10-2017, 02:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1979 MasterCraft Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilemule View Post
I throw the anchor out then climb over the windshield with the rope and tie off. My Supra has a lifting ring so I use that with a Highwayman's hitch knot so I don't have to climb back over the windshield to untie.
^^^^^
Old 08-10-2017, 02:14 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilemule View Post
thats a good call, tying to the lifting ring and only one climb over the windshield.

thanks guys!

i knew id get a bunch of quick replies
Old 08-10-2017, 02:20 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
This is way easier in the pictured boat than in your boat.

The 88 vintage the windshield is lower and the seat back has a flat fiberglass area in front of the mirror.

On the 94 the ticket is to fold the mirror up so you can step up below the mirror and over the windscreen - otherwise that is a bugger!
Old 08-10-2017, 03:56 PM
TT Regular

that makes sense, will have to give that a try
im a fairly tall guy, so ive been able to start from the observers seat bottom and kind of take a long step over the windshield but its fairly clumsy... i wasnt sure about stepping on that part of the dash but will give it a whirl. that flat portion just ahead of the mirror does look fairly sturdy, i imagine if youre not 300lb and taking a flying leap it oughta hold up
Old 08-10-2017, 04:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1979 MasterCraft Stars & Stripes
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
that makes sense, will have to give that a try
im a fairly tall guy, so ive been able to start from the observers seat bottom and kind of take a long step over the windshield but its fairly clumsy... i wasnt sure about stepping on that part of the dash but will give it a whirl. that flat portion just ahead of the mirror does look fairly sturdy, i imagine if youre not 300lb and taking a flying leap it oughta hold up
I have a '79 S&S, used to weigh (when I purchased the boat) 235-240, and never had a problem with the strength of the bow cap. Just be careful not to slip, fall and re-configure your windshield!
Old 08-10-2017, 05:47 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X-star 5.7L LTR, 2000 Prostar 190 5.7L LTR, both dark green
If it's not too windy, we just toss the anchor off the back and tie it to one of the back tow hooks.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 Mastercraft ProStar 190
I usually make an open bow throw an anchor and tie up to them
But when I have to throw one I do as stated below and throw from the back or side and then hook to the rope I have on the bow lifting eye and never cross the windshield. Plus it's safer toward the end of the day!