Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-02-2018, 11:50 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X30
IAC / Idle 2006 MCX questions

I'm looking for some guidance on an issue with my 2006 MCX equipped X30. Yesterday it began stalling while at idle. No issues while at operating speeds. Once it stalled, it would re-start after a short rest.
Of course, as luck would have it, a storm rolled through as we were heading out, and boat stalled at idle speed in high wind near boat ramp. I cranked it a couple times with no luck. We were headed towards the rocks. Luckily, on the third attempt it started and we were able to get boat on trailer safely.

I've searched and read that this is likely an IAC issue, but I'm not sure how to test this. Do I need to remove and clean the IAC ? If I need to replace it is there a Mastercraft, Skidim, or NAPA part number?

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:58 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep on Tryin' View Post
I'm looking for some guidance on an issue with my 2006 MCX equipped X30. Yesterday it began stalling while at idle. No issues while at operating speeds. Once it stalled, it would re-start after a short rest.
Of course, as luck would have it, a storm rolled through as we were heading out, and boat stalled at idle speed in high wind near boat ramp. I cranked it a couple times with no luck. We were headed towards the rocks. Luckily, on the third attempt it started and we were able to get boat on trailer safely.

I've searched and read that this is likely an IAC issue, but I'm not sure how to test this. Do I need to remove and clean the IAC ? If I need to replace it is there a Mastercraft, Skidim, or NAPA part number?

Thanks for your help.
If this EVER happens again, open the throttle a bit and it should start if the problem has to do with a closed IAC. If it still doesn't start, look elsewhere. Does the exhaust smell like gasoline when the engine is at normal operating temperature and do you see dark deposits on the transom? If so, I would look at the ECT, not the IAC.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:56 PM
TT Regular

Thanks for the reply!
I did try opening the throttle a bit and it didn't start.
It does smell like it might be running a bit rich, but no noticable soot around exhaust that I noticed. It's a navy blue hull, so I'll wipe with my finger and see if I detect residue.
ECT = engine coolant temperature sensor?
What should I be looking for?
Old 07-02-2018, 02:07 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep on Tryin' View Post
Thanks for the reply!
I did try opening the throttle a bit and it didn't start.
It does smell like it might be running a bit rich, but no noticable soot around exhaust that I noticed. It's a navy blue hull, so I'll wipe with my finger and see if I detect residue.
ECT = engine coolant temperature sensor?
What should I be looking for?
Which engine? The resistance chart for the GM engines has been posted here many times and itís online- if the value is lower than normal, it will act like itís overheated and if itís too high, the ECM reacts as if the engine is too cold (runs rich). The GM engine has one sender for the gauge (one wire) and another for the ECM (two wires- one yellow, one black).

Youíll need a multi-meter to test it.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:53 PM
TT Regular

2006 MCX Engine

Last edited by Keep on Tryin'; 09-06-2018 at 09:59 AM.