Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-20-2016, 10:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Sammy Duvall 190 EVO
I hate to bring up an old thread, but I didn't want to make a new post and it seems to fit here if someone else is thinking about this...

We (my son and I) just replaced our Silent Masters with 3" PVC from Lowes. Both mufflers were leaking at the seams - boat was still ski-able, but bilge pump running more often than we liked.

The whole kit from Lowes was under $30 (including the pvc cement I needed to buy that was $8 for the kit). I bought two 45% elbows and the pipe.

We will get new mufflers or repair the old ones over the lay-up season.

We went out to the lake today and we were hoping it would sound like the flat-bottom v-drives that race around the lake.... Fired it up, couldn't even tell the difference! OK, maybe when we plane it out... not really... pretty much exactly the same! Maybe when I'm short-line off the back? Nope, couldnt even hear it... We were so sad. :-) Maybe it makes a difference with different boats/hulls but with our 2001 190, really no difference.

Just wanted to share in the event anyone was on the fence about trying it. The R/R was super easy too and bilge didn't run once!!!
Old 08-21-2016, 10:55 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 5.7 comp ski Velvet drive trans
That's good info. I cracked one of mine while putting the motor back in. I've been too lazy to pull it and fiberglass it. And the water is kinda nice when we want to surf. I just turn the bilge off for an hour before. It cracked so easy the PvC may be tougher.

Tags
exhaust, muffler