Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-18-2015, 11:27 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 93 mastercraft prostar 190
are the mufflers necessary

I have a 93 prostar 190 that the previous owner over tightened the house clamps on the mufflers and cracked the fiberglass pretty bad. I was just wondering if they are only for noise reduction or if they serve some other purpose such as back pressure. Bottom line it's I WS wondering if just taken out of the system would it cause and adverse effect on how it runs our negative consequences on the motor. Thanks for any knowledge anyone may be able to pass on.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:42 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
you can run PVC - but it will be very loud - easy to fix with off the shelf resin / glass products.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:55 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Something else, DD 2004 red/white/black
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have a 93 prostar 190 that the previous owner over tightened the house clamps on the mufflers and cracked the fiberglass pretty bad. I was just wondering if they are only for noise reduction or if they serve some other purpose such as back pressure. Bottom line it's I WS wondering if just taken out of the system would it cause and adverse effect on how it runs our negative consequences on the motor. Thanks for any knowledge anyone may be able to pass on.
Really, mufflers are for low speed, sound reduction. (No wake areas, quiet areas, interior sound reduction)

At speed, there is very little difference. The exhaust flappers, have more effect on back pressure. Lots of boats, run without the mufflers. There is no performance gain, with just removing mufflers.

Fiberglass repair kits, Autozone, are cheap. PVC will work, just don't go to thin on the wall, as they can catastrophic crack. (split)

2004 Red/White/Black something or other.

Formally, 1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 Prostar 205 LT-1
I would not run without them just because of the noise. After a while, it is just not pleasant being behind the boat with out the mufflers. The mufflers can be repaired with standard fiberglass repair techniques. Search this forum, perhaps even using google instead of the search engine. Also, you can find replacements here:

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1156
Old 04-18-2015, 02:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 89 Prostar 190
don't the mufflers also have a trap in there to help prevent water from backflowing up into the motor?
Old 04-18-2015, 02:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
I always wondered - are the mufflers superfluous if you install an FAE?
Old 04-19-2015, 08:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Maristar 240 SC
I know several of you run PVC instead of mufflers but I didnt like the idea so I bought a tube of stainless steel to cut and use as an interior coupling I could really reliably clamp onto. At low speed the exhaust should be below the waterline anywy and I really dont notice much sound difference even on the trailer.
Just my $0.02.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:59 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
When I put the exhaust on my boat (it either didn't come with it or a previous owner removed them), it took out some of the higher pitched exhaust noise but left plenty of throaty low pitched tones. It makes no difference at all in "no wake zones" and you are only at an idle. Probably the biggest difference is heard on hard acceleration (as in when you "hit it").
Old 04-20-2015, 09:19 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Something else, DD 2004 red/white/black
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_2_o View Post
don't the mufflers also have a trap in there to help prevent water from backflowing up into the motor?
Not in Silent Master's, case. That's primary, the job, of the exhaust flappers. The internal baffles, (two opposing cones [tips pointing at each other], with the bottom 40% removed have some effect). Hard to explain, without pictures.

I rebuilt mine, when I went from a 3" exhaust manifold, to a ETX 3.5" manifold. I may have the end, I removed...that shows the cone.

youtube for videos, of inboard with and without mufflers, for sound difference. On the trailer, there is not much. Sitting at idle, say talking to a down skier, or pulling into a dock. About a -3db (seat of pants estimate)

My days of loud boats, and cars, is over. Still have unsolved issues, with Fast women, though!

2004 Red/White/Black something or other.

Formally, 1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:50 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 1990 Indmar 351
Previous owner ran straight pipes. We ran it for 2 seasons - this season we opted for the silent master mufflers from skidim...hoping to be able to hold a conversation in the boat while listening to music this summer...

Tags
exhaust, muffler