Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 06-01-2015, 12:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 Prostar 205v 330 LTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtryon View Post
mts205, where did you get that telescoping assembly? are the ends both swiveling? i need a better solution for mine than the turnbuckle i'm currently using.
Use a walking cane for the telescoping section and swivel castor wheels will do the for the brackets but I found the base will fail at the rivet on these so just make the brackets from U profile and drill 3 holes in it.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtryon View Post
mts205, where did you get that telescoping assembly? are the ends both swiveling? i need a better solution for mine than the turnbuckle i'm currently using.
I used 1 inch, 1/8th in wall aluminum tubing and 3/4" aluminum stock for mine, love working in a machine shop. I did have the gate in alot more than the pic i have of it, unfortunately 2 weeks before i try again, was at 10.5mph, maybe i need to slow down a little
Old 06-04-2015, 12:50 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 MC X-Star. 1996 Pro-Star 205 (sold)
So does the wake shaper work well on the ATP-1 X-Star hull?? Anybody tried it yet???
Old 06-04-2015, 01:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1996, 3fiddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dguille View Post
So does the wake shaper work well on the ATP-1 X-Star hull?? Anybody tried it yet???
It will work on any boat, regardless of shape. Delayed convergence and making one wave dominant is the trick.

When your boat splits through the water it displaces water to port and starboard, heavier the boat, the more water it displaces. The ripple effect is your wake (duh, I know). When that displaced water comes back together...that is what you are surfing on.

The trick is to retard, or delay one of the waves. If one of the waves takes longer to return "home" the other wave will be dominant and roll over the other. Dominance is also what is being achieved when we ballast one side of the boat more than the other...bigger wave will dominate the smaller one.

What the wave shaper (surf gate) does is essentially make your hull longer on one side of the boat, delaying that side's wave from coming back as fast, thus making the opposite side's wave dominant and giving it a much more surf-able shape as it rolls over the other wave...not into it.

I dunno if that makes any sense...but that's the idea, lol.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Kaboat
These gates work best with even weight. Whatever weight you were using to make your boat lean buy the same bags for the other side too. Have seen positive results on 3 of my buddies boats. You can run double the weight if you are not leaning your boat. I'm running on my sporstar 1100 behind the box, 800's on each side of the box and 800 in the nose. I can ride 15 to 20 ft behind my slalom boat. Don't be afraid to sack it out.

Last edited by gwozhog; 06-04-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Kaboat
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5oUNNfiKAeo

Proof is in the video
Old 06-07-2015, 08:28 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footin View Post
Tried mine for the first time this weekend, I have to work on the ballast for best results.

Currently have 750 on each side of the back and 690 in the front. Wake is pretty good at 10.6, but I think I can make it better as it seems to wash out to early.

I only had 3 people in the boat, we will have 6 in the boat next weekend and will try moving people around.

I lighted up the nose weight a bit to about 300 and added three people to the back seat at this really increase the size and push.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X2
I have shared this post in a couple of different areas in the forums (please forgive the repetition). Since this was the original Wake-Shaper thread I started just under a year ago, I thought I would post back to give all those who have been following along an update:

Officially launched the newest edition to our lineup... Wake-Shaper Platform Edition (Patent Pending).

Thread can be found here:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...82#post1147382

You can also check out the latest video on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/y4PdZhAVGR0

We are entering production and pre-orders will start shipping in 2-3 weeks!

Anyone interested in more information, pricing, or availability, please contact us: wakeshaper@gmail.com
or follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/wakeshaper

Tags
2007 x2, ballast setup, surf setup, wake plates, wakesurfing