Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 09-18-2018, 02:54 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: paddle
That IS a great looking lawn
Old 09-18-2018, 03:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maristar210 View Post
I pay a guy $50 a week to mow, just sayin'
$90 per mowing for us, we'd be in the poor house with 1.25 acres. I have to mow every 4 days or it gets too thick. That equates to $5500/yr and i bought a used rider for $300.

I think i got my money's worth so far

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2018, 03:26 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
Exmark. Fantastic Mowers. Not sure what all this talk is about Club Cadets.

I've owned 3 Exmark commercial mowers that I used for residential. Might seem like overkill but once you cut with one you won't go back to resi grade.
It's all about the FAT stripes!

Attachment 181004
that looks awesome. how do you make the rows look like that? My Zero turn doesn't look like that when I'm done cutting grass.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft ProStar 190 1999 330HP Powerslot - 1st MC 1987 ProStar Current 2012 ProStar 197
I originally had a very used scag zero turn. It was awesome until it broke and was not worth fixing. At that point we had a lawn service for about 5-7 years at $90 a pop for 1.25 flat acres. After awhile I had a hard time paying that so I looked at Scag's again but way to expensive. Went to Home Depot and saw the Cub Cadet 50 inch zero turn. That was 6 years ago and it cuts great. Perfect lines like my old Scag and so far very reliable. The only part of it that's is so-so is the bagging system. Grass gets clumped up and I have to pull it out once in awhile. The motor is a 22HP Kawaski and its strong. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:20 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 1999 ProStar View Post
......... The motor is a 22HP Kawasaki and its strong.
Bullet proof engines. My gasoline engine preference over all others for mower applications.

Really like my 30 HP Kubota diesel engine too.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:42 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X-30 MCX
The best way is to add a striping kit to your mower. Usually it's just a roller that pushes the grass down in the direction the mower travels. When you go opposite directions, you get the really noticeable dark and then light strips of grass.

Toro and Exmark are the same company. I've had a Toro MX and it was a great mower for the 1 -3 acre home owner. The Exmark is their more commercial line and they're going to be built better...however the top of the line Toro's are better than the bottom of the line Exmarks. Both are known for producing a very high quality cut. Can't go wrong with these mowers. The Kohler's are a solid motor, but I prefer the Kawasaki's. Scag makes mowers I'd put up against the Exmark's but don't have any personal experience with them.

Ferris makes some super nice suspension machines. If comfort is your thing, this is your mower. I rode one and it was super nice...but super expensive.

I have a Wright Stander X now. My 7 acre property has lots of slopes and trees to navigate around. The stand up mower is more productive. Easy to jump on and off to shag a tree limb. Much safer on the slopes as it's more stable with a lower center of gravity and if things went really south I can just step off the back. It's built crazy heavy duty. One complaint is it is harder to keep the lines straight with the shorter wheelbase.

JD has some nice mowers on the pro end and are known for making one of the best deck's out there. Just my opinion but the rest of the mower are pretty much copies of someone else's mower, with JD's deck, green paint and jacked up price tag. I'd own a used one for the right price but wouldn't pay the JD new price.

The high end Cub's look legit. Good looking decks and the right components. I'd stay away from the lower end models.

After having been around quite a few mowers, I'd never buy anything short of a pro version even if that meant buying used. They're just built so much better and operate better. It's worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
that looks awesome. how do you make the rows look like that? My Zero turn doesn't look like that when I'm done cutting grass.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC, 35th Anniversary Edition, 03 Stars & Stripes
Good news, or some might consider it bad news! I found .

The used 2014 cub cadet Z force SZ (commercial quality) steering wheel version was made immediately available from a guy who bought 5-6 used mowers from JD Dealer in Meridian, MS. I had the dealer reach out to him and convenience him to flip it. I had to pay list price, but with only 95 hours and it was half of a new one. However CC now has a Pro line, so I think this one now compares to it's current SX line.
For those that agree, thanks for those that do not, thanks too. I really wanted this mower to help on the hills around my house and the adjacent lot that we owe and take care of. Those other recommend brands do have some great mowers, but did not offer the steering wheel option. I could be wrong since I'm use to JD tractors; had 4 different ones over the years with a current 2007, X320 with 520 hours. I'll update this thread after a few cuts and may be again in a few months just so everyone can be informed.
Thanks again,
[email protected]
Old 09-22-2018, 03:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft ProStar 190 1999 330HP Powerslot - 1st MC 1987 ProStar Current 2012 ProStar 197
Here's a pic of my Cub Cadet Z turn. Grass isn't perfect but looks good.
Attached Images