Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 06-18-2018, 08:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 197 Prostar 40th Anniversary
Engine won't start after skiing

Have an 08 prostar with 5.7 MCX. This past weekend both saturday and sunday morning after skiing, went back to our friends dock to talk for probably about 30-45 minutes both days. Engine cranks but wont turn over or when it does turn over dies immediately. Someone said vapor lock the first day because it wouldnt start at all. Another thought fuel pump issue. I can hear the pump run when the key is turned. Finally, i unplugged the pump plug and plugged it back in and it seemed to start but not sure that's what actually caused it because both days before i did that i would hear the pump run. After the boat sits for like an hour or two it starts up no problem. Any ideas?
Old 06-18-2018, 09:37 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Check coolant temp sensor.. might be reading high after heat soak.

Could be fuel pump starting to give up its ghost.

Read fuel pump 101 thread.. lot of great info there

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2018, 09:41 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 Prostar 197 TT
In the case of my 06' Prostar with MCX, originally thought i had bad gas, but it was my fuel pump was going out, I could get the boat started every time, but the pump would lose pressure within a few seconds and the engine would shut off. I could re-start it, but again it would shut off within 5-10 seconds every time. To further diagnosis, I rented a fuel pressure gauge from Autozone, running the boat on the trailer with my bucket method. I was able to replicate the issue, while watching the pressure gauge. Fuel pressure would drop to 0 after the 5-10 seconds of run time.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

i have noticed that when i start the boat sometimes, after turning the key for the pump to go on, i'll start the boat and it almost gets so low that it's about to die it seems and then it comes RIGHT up very quickly and loudly, almost like there was a shortage of fuel for a second. i am also thinking fuel pump but wanted to see if anyone knew anything.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, 280 SST, 2005, Twin 375 Crusader
Check the connector of the fuel pump. 05' 280 SST here, Lost one of my engines 25 miles from home and couldn't figure it out on the water. Next day I opened up the deck and was listening to my boat run. could hear the pump go from full on to off while sitting Idle. after a couple more tests, I figured out I could push/pull the connector a certain way and it would just turn off or lose partial voltage and wind down or up. Also if I just let it just vibrate loose and stall I could immediately restart the engine sometimes like it never happened. 25 miles out and over 3 hours limping back to my slip because a bad fuel pump connector. I zip tied it tight, No stalling since. $0.01 zip tie did the trick again....-_- Side note, the fuel pump that didn't have this issue looks like it has a splice on connector which I would assume the previous owner had the issue with the other pump, or a dealer found the issue with the other pump and didn't replace both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsd1992 View Post
i have noticed that when i start the boat sometimes, after turning the key for the pump to go on, i'll start the boat and it almost gets so low that it's about to die it seems and then it comes RIGHT up very quickly and loudly, almost like there was a shortage of fuel for a second. i am also thinking fuel pump but wanted to see if anyone knew anything.

Also the behavior of my engine did exactly this like 5 times before the connector got stuck without giving my fuel pump power. It starves the engine and the connector power comes back from vibrating and the engine sucks down a load of fuel. I manually recreated this issue by pulling the connector wires till it lost power then waited until is was about to stall and then pushing the wires tight on the connector and giving it power.
Boat: 2005 Maristar 280 SST Twin Crusader 375
Old 06-18-2018, 12:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashCourse316 View Post
Check the connector of the fuel pump. 05' 280 SST here, Lost one of my engines 25 miles from home and couldn't figure it out on the water. Next day I opened up the deck and was listening to my boat run. could hear the pump go from full on to off while sitting Idle. after a couple more tests, I figured out I could push/pull the connector a certain way and it would just turn off or lose partial voltage and wind down or up.
This exactly. When i put my head near the fuel pump i can hear it cycle but just a gut feeling told me that it didnt seem like it was pumping a lot. I did pull the plug out each time and reconnected it but thought maybe it was just a coincidence. It did happen twice but i have been down this road with my old '01 in that the pump would just either be on or off and if i moved the wires it i could get it to work again....didn't want to go out and spend money on something that wasn't the issue until i was sure. been down that road too lol