Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-27-2018, 01:27 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V. 1982 S&S Powerslot (sold).
Is it a solenoid or a starter motor?

Recently my 2001 ProStar 205V wit the 310 hp motoer has been acting like it has a bad connection to the battery... in that when I turn the key to start it I hear a click then everything (dash, gauges, perfect pass, radio) go dead. I wait a few minutes and either it repeats or starts normally. At first I thought that I had a bad connection at the battery, but everything is clean and tight, and my voltage doesn't change from the battery terminals all the way back to the starter motor lug / ground to motor.
Would this be a symptom of my starter motor or the integral solenoid going bad? Engine has 278 hours on it... but it is 18 years old....
It seems to be worse when it is hot.

Forgive any typo's, spelling, or gramatical errors. I am influenced by a bottle of 2013 Watchdog Rock Merlot at time of posting.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:34 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
First problem is merlot

Does dash and acessories work fine when key in on position?

Starter may be going into an over draw condition.. i would have it checked.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2018, 09:43 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
First problem is merlot

Does dash and acessories work fine when key in on position?

Starter may be going into an over draw condition.. i would have it checked.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
C'mon man, don't be hatin' on good Merlot.

Sounds like you did your troubleshooting of the start circuit wiring properly. probably time to check the starter. Have you checked resistance on the battery cables? Also being 18 years old, they could have absorbed some water and have a higher resistance.

I am seldom one to throw parts at a problem. In this case, you wouldn't be wrong to rebuild /replace your starter and install new battery cables.

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $325 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $495 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Old 09-27-2018, 10:06 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaff View Post
Recently my 2001 ProStar 205V wit the 310 hp motoer has been acting like it has a bad connection to the battery... in that when I turn the key to start it I hear a click then everything (dash, gauges, perfect pass, radio) go dead. I wait a few minutes and either it repeats or starts normally. At first I thought that I had a bad connection at the battery, but everything is clean and tight, and my voltage doesn't change from the battery terminals all the way back to the starter motor lug / ground to motor.
Would this be a symptom of my starter motor or the integral solenoid going bad? Engine has 278 hours on it... but it is 18 years old....
It seems to be worse when it is hot.

Forgive any typo's, spelling, or gramatical errors. I am influenced by a bottle of 2013 Watchdog Rock Merlot at time of posting.
The starter has a part called a 'Bendix'- it's a gear on a helical shaft that moves into the ring gear when cranking and a spring that returns it to its normal position. The solenoid has contacts that touch when the key is turned and it drives the starter, but only if good contact is made. If an engine is cranked for too long when the battery voltage is low, the excessive current causes the contacts to become extremely hot and they can lost their ability to conduct well; sometimes, they become welded together and the starter will stay engaged until the battery dies completely. Been there. Didn't like it.

The Bendix is supposed to be lubricated annually, but almost nobody does it.

Heat-related issues like this usually indicate loose connections that are affected when things like wire insulation become softer as they become hot. Wires sag or move from hard turns and contact is lost. Also, metal parts expand when they become hot, so something might be binding.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 86 Magnum Skier
Do the gauges instantly come back or is there a delay? If there is a delay I usually find there is a dirty connection somewhere. The connection may even be tight. You just have to start chasing it. The most common point with cars is the battery terminals and the connection from the battery cable to the terminal end. It sounds like you have already eliminated the common problem with your meter as hopefully you had the probe on the positive terminal of the starter and on the block. You don't want to have it on the cable end in case the bad connection is between the cable and block or the starter lug and the cable. So most likely it is your starter.

If the gauges come back instantly and it is a single click then usually the starter is bad. IT is drawing too much current and things drop out. This is where many times you can hit the starter with a tool and get it to function if you are stuck somewhere.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:35 AM
MC Fanatic

Yep, just one click. Not the ta-ta-ta-ta-ta you hear from a battery with low voltage.
The dash does not come right back on. It may take 20 or 30 seconds before it restores.
I'm thinking the starter is causing an over-current somewhere that is tripping a thermal or auto-resetting breaker somewhere. That the Bendix is locking up occasionally, creating an overcurrent and tripping a breaker. Then the breaker is restoring once I leave it alone for a while. How do you lubricate a Bendix?
Old 09-29-2018, 10:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft X Star
check your grounds also for loose or corroded connections
Old 09-29-2018, 10:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 Ski Nautique 2001
You need to meaaure the current when someone turns the key. A clean terminal or cable can have the right current till load is put on it. I had similar symptoms and my fix ended up being a new terminal connector at the battery.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:45 AM
MC Fanatic

There is zero corrosion and the connections are tight all the way through. Those were the first things I checked. That’s why the question on possibility of starter motor/solenoid. I have had a bad solenoid (starter relay) on a V-8 do the single click thing and not spin the starter motor before with land based vehicles. But it never killed all accessory power like this does.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 Ski Nautique 2001
So were mine. Measured 14.2 at post. Turned key and there was a significant voltage drop at the wire right past the terminal. 5 minutes nothing at dash etc like a fuse popped. Battery load tested. I had to cut an inch of the wire and get a new terminal on fresh copper.