Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-17-2018, 01:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Manny -
I've never gotten a solid answer. I had the trans out of the boat this year when I was replacing the engine, and I fully drained it. I put the Hurth recommended quantity of oil back in, and measuring it the way they say the oil level didn't even register on the stick, but screwing it in gave the expected level. I cheated and added oil so that it measured out OK using Hurth's technique; you'll have to decide on your own what to do.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:28 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 5.7 TBI
Hi Manny,

I have an 03 X2 with a ZF 63 IV. Just changed the oil again on the weekend for Summer prep. I always remove the filter, suck out from there and clean the filter with brake cleaner whilst I am at it. I always remove 4 litres this way and refill with 4 litres. I always check the level with the dipstick unscrewed and just sitting in.

Cheers
Old 10-17-2018, 08:26 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, Xstar, 2004
Thanks Frank and Aquaholic. Pumped out just under 4 quarts last night from filter hole, which is what the ZF Hurth manual recommends, and my dipstick was showing proper fill when screwed in. Both ZF and Masrercraft manuals state 4.2 quarts capacity so Iím going to side with the ZF manual and check with dipstick NOT screwed in. I called the local Mastercraft dealer and they said they always check with it screwed in ... Iím thinking most of these transmissions are being underfilled given the info in the MC manual ó a big miss in my opinion.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:21 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, Xstar, 2004
Just spoke with ZF Hurth and they confirmed proper way to check transmission fluid with dipstick that has threads is to NOT screw it in ... if you do screw it in your transmission will be underfilled.

They also said to always replace the filter ó donít try to clean it. Iíve seen some debate around this topic. Theyíre not meant to be cleaned because you wonít remove all the particles. Hope this helps!
Old 10-17-2018, 05:47 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 5.7 TBI
That sounds right as 4 litres is 4.2 quarts. I buy it in 4 litre containers so works perfectly. Thanks for confirmation of not screwing it in. I change it every 50 hours (1 season) so filter is like new all the time. I looked at buying new but certainly not cheap down here, and most seem to clean them. Maybe I should look at changing it every 2-3 seasons.

Cheers
Old 10-18-2018, 10:12 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 X-Star
Anybody know what thread the drain plug on the bottom of the ZF vee drive unit is? I'm fed up with sucking oil out, so going to get my local hydraulic place to make me a drain hose. Can't see why I get one for engine oil, but not the trans, volumes of oil a similar and interval is the same.