Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-02-2018, 02:18 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2008 Prostar 197
Intermittent sluggish 2008 Prostar MCX

Just purchased a 2008 PS with 300 hours on it, worked fine for the test drive, and when I filled it up before heading home, put in the lake, opened it up, it went about 100yards, then the engine just went sluggish, no power, low RPMS. No warning lights, just powerless.
I put it back on the trailer, and looked everything over, thinking it might have went into limp mode for some reason.
I put it back in the lake, again it was sluggish, but right before i put it on the trailer, I thought i'd give it one more try, and just like that it was back to full power. Stayed that way the rest of the day.
Two days later, same thing, took off, and fine for abit, then power loss. Checked things again, no obvious smoking gun, and couple times i took it out after that, its been fine (short runs thought)
I did see that fuel pumps have been issues, but looking at this one, it has a newer style pump (actually has two pumps, although only one is used), so its been replaced before. I did check the pressure on the rail, it seems fine, although I didnt have the pressure gauge attached when it was sluggish.
Just curious if anyone else has seen this, input, suggestions? I plan on replacing the fuel filters (there are three) this winter, anything else to check while Im under the hood?
Old 10-02-2018, 02:23 PM

Boat: XT22
Sounds fuel related. Pump, filter, or bad fuel. But I'm no expert
Old 10-03-2018, 08:09 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
I would also double check oil level/oil pressure. If it's marginal, when you accelerate and the boat pitches up, it could cause a reading that would throw the boat into a limp mode without necessarily triggering a warning. If nothing else, something easy to check and if okay, quick to rule out.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:37 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
Definitely fuel pump and/or filter.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:58 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kevineng View Post
Just purchased a 2008 PS with 300 hours on it, worked fine for the test drive, and when I filled it up before heading home, put in the lake, opened it up, it went about 100yards, then the engine just went sluggish, no power, low RPMS. No warning lights, just powerless.
I put it back on the trailer, and looked everything over, thinking it might have went into limp mode for some reason.
I put it back in the lake, again it was sluggish, but right before i put it on the trailer, I thought i'd give it one more try, and just like that it was back to full power. Stayed that way the rest of the day.
Two days later, same thing, took off, and fine for abit, then power loss. Checked things again, no obvious smoking gun, and couple times i took it out after that, its been fine (short runs thought)
I did see that fuel pumps have been issues, but looking at this one, it has a newer style pump (actually has two pumps, although only one is used), so its been replaced before. I did check the pressure on the rail, it seems fine, although I didnt have the pressure gauge attached when it was sluggish.
Just curious if anyone else has seen this, input, suggestions? I plan on replacing the fuel filters (there are three) this winter, anything else to check while Im under the hood?
Testing is the only way to really find answers. Any other method is just guesswork.

Check the fuel pressure and oil pressure switch if it has one.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:59 AM
TT Newbie

I've checked the fuel pressure, its running at 60psi, but didnt have the gauge with when it was acting up. One question i did have, while just sitting, after the key is turned on the fuel pressure builds to 60....will that bleed off after some time? I noticed once it bled off fairly quickly (15 minutes or so) now it seems to bleed down real slow (days).....maybe thats normal, just curious.
Dont recall what the oil pressure was, but never did get an oil pressure alarm, i'll check it anyway.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:57 AM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
I'd go with the filter or bad gas angle first. The fuel pumps don't normally go out slowly.

The other thing I would check is obstruction in the exhaust. Look for a collapsed rubber hose or muffler. If you get enough back pressure it can reduce power.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!

Last edited by CantRepeat; 10-04-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:03 AM

Boat: XT22
You need to check the fuel pressure when it is under load, I believe. Doesn't sound like you did that based on your post.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:25 PM
TT Newbie

I did get a chance to check pressure under load, it was still near 60psi at 4200rpms, but it wasnt acting up either during that little spin around the lake.......might have to wait til spring to play with it again....possible snow showers tonight