Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-05-2018, 02:01 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 X45, 2004 X30
Speaker wiring on original JL Audio setup in 2006 X45

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice and info on the speaker/amp wiring in my 2006 X45 with OEM JL Audio components. The setup consists of a single e6450M JL Audio amp which powers four JL tower speakers, four JL cabin speakers, and one 10 in JL sub. I've been speaking with Odin at Earmark who has been great as I try to upgrade the system to get more power and possibly add an additional sub.

My question is how are these boats wired? Are the speakers wired in parallel or series? Forgive me as I'm a bit of a stereo novice, but from what I can tell by looking at the amp channels 1, 2, 3, 4 are used for the speakers and channels 5,6 are bridged for the sub. I guess I was confused to see only 4 channels powering 8 speakers (4 cabin and 4 tower).

The plan is to add another amp to power the tower speakers and sub (or subs if I install a second sub under the helm or elsewhere) and keep the e6450M to power the cabin. I could just use some help making sure it's wired correctly.

Thanks everyone for advice!
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2018, 02:16 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
You have a 6 chnl amp and the woofer uses 2. This leaves 2 for the in-boats and 2 for the tower. Id speculate that each chnl has a pair wired in parallel. Of course, presumes no speakers are wired to the head unit. Prevent the amp from turning on or getting a music signal and you'll know for sure if any speakers are on the head unit.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 X45, 2004 X30
Thanks MLA for the message. No speakers are wired to the deck so I assume that you are correct in that the speakers are wired in parallel. Does this mean that if there are 4 cabin speakers on only two channels that the power to each speaker is halved?

If I remove the tower speakers and sub from this 6 channel amp and use it soley for the cabin speakers, do I need to rewire everything to have each speaker dedicated to a channel in order to get the most power out of the amp?

I'm considering adding a JL MHD900/5 to power the 4 tower speakers and either a single 10" sub or two 10" subs. Am I better off scrapping the 6450m and buying two amps that will allow me ot keep everything wire in parallel? Thanks again!
Old 05-05-2018, 09:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
What ever the amp's 2 ohm p/chnl output is, would be divided between the two speakers. This in of itself, is not a bad thing. Dedicating the 6 chnl to the in-boats would allow you 2 free chnls to add a 3rd pair. I dont know for sure, if you would have to rewire. How many wires are in each speaker output terminal? The parallel connection can be made at the amp or at one of the speakers.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Need to see the other side of the amp to see how the speakers are connected, but my guess would be the connections are paired there.

I would add a MHD750/1 for the tower speakers - which has 2 sets of outputs on the amp, be sure to run this amp in High Pass Filter. Since you are connecting 4 speakers to this amp, pair 2 & 2 on the outputs at the amp. Split the RCA inputs from the head unit to the amp. Assuming it is a clarion head unit, you should have multiple RCA inputs on the back of the unit - I use the rears for the towers, this way I can use the fader to control (old Fashioned zone control) towers to in-boats. The MHD 750/1 is a full ranges amp, and will def brighten up your tower speakers a ton. - You lose stereo, however really does not matter for the towers!

I would then use the existing 6 channel for your in-boats & sub - each in boat (4) would have its own connection, & the sub is split on channel 5/6, assuming the amp has a low pass filter for these 2 channels, which it should.