Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-31-2007, 02:22 PM
Hrkdrivr's Avatar
Hrkdrivr Hrkdrivr is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Boat: MasterCraft X-45, 2006, L18, slate gray/white
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 688
Question Trailer brakes clunk

When I was "test driving" the boat/trailer combo yesterday ('06 X-45), the surge brakes clunked pretty loudly while braking and then again while accelerating, like somebody hitting the hitch w/a hammer. The brakes seemed to work OK and it didn't seem to be a problem, just annoying.

My previous trailer's surge brakes made no noise at all.

James said this is normal for this type of trailer brake setup, but I seem to remember reading somewhere the brake fluid reservoir might be low or the brakes might need to be adjusted.

What have the rest of you experienced? Do you hear the clunk every time the brakes engage and disengage?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-31-2007, 02:30 PM
bigmac bigmac is offline
MC Platinum
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 8,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrkdrivr
When I was "test driving" the boat/trailer combo yesterday ('06 X-45), the surge brakes clunked pretty loudly while braking and then again while accelerating, like somebody hitting the hitch w/a hammer. The brakes seemed to work OK and it didn't seem to be a problem, just annoying.

My previous trailer's surge brakes made no noise at all.

James said this is normal for this type of trailer brake setup, but I seem to remember reading somewhere the brake fluid reservoir might be low or the brakes might need to be adjusted.

What have the rest of you experienced? Do you hear the clunk every time the brakes engage and disengage?
I hear it too, to some degree in the same situations.
__________________
'04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-31-2007, 03:45 PM
sand2snow22's Avatar
sand2snow22 sand2snow22 is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Boat: Ri257
Location: p-town
Posts: 3,951
We have it to some degree as well, I greased the ball and this really seemed to help. Also helps when at a stop to move slightly forward to disengage the brakes, then when you accelerate it won't happen.

It may also be the big pin on the hitch, make sure it is nice and tight......

We'll make it a little nicer....

Last edited by sand2snow22; 03-31-2007 at 04:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-31-2007, 03:49 PM
Hrkdrivr's Avatar
Hrkdrivr Hrkdrivr is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Boat: MasterCraft X-45, 2006, L18, slate gray/white
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 688
WOW...posting FOUL! Erk, over to you for the fireworks.

(thanks for the replies)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-31-2007, 04:38 PM
TX.X-30 fan TX.X-30 fan is offline
MC Platinum
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
Location: Lake Travis
Posts: 9,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand2snow22
We have it to some degree as well, I greased the ball and this really seemed to help. Also helps when at a stop to move slightly forward to disengage the brakes, then when you accelerate it won't happen.

It may also be the big pin on the hitch, make sure it is nice and tight......

We'll make it a little nicer....
That is exactly right, just let off the brake and accelerate slowly at first. I love the trailer brakes on my MC, the boat actually stops my truck.
__________________
___________________________________________


________________________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-31-2007, 04:49 PM
bigmac bigmac is offline
MC Platinum
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
Location: Central Minnesota
Posts: 8,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX.X-30 fan
That is exactly right, just let off the brake and accelerate slowly at first. I love the trailer brakes on my MC, the boat actually stops my truck.
Mine too. The problem is that it also tries to stop my truck periodically as I'm driving down the highway with the trailer unloaded.
__________________
'04 MariStar 230VRS/MCX
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-31-2007, 05:09 PM
trickskier's Avatar
trickskier trickskier is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
Location: "THE GATOR NATION"
Posts: 11,341
From my experience, the clunk when you accelerate from a standing start is normal. I do as others have mentioned and accelerate slowly.

If you can feel a clunk when stopping, I would suggest checking your brake fluid level and consider bleeding the system.

Good Luck............
__________________

The Only Thing That You Can Give and Still Keep Is Your Word
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-31-2007, 05:21 PM
trickskier's Avatar
trickskier trickskier is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
Location: "THE GATOR NATION"
Posts: 11,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac
Mine too. The problem is that it also tries to stop my truck periodically as I'm driving down the highway with the trailer unloaded.
I get a lot of wheel hop trying to stop when tandem trailer is unloaded.
__________________

The Only Thing That You Can Give and Still Keep Is Your Word
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-31-2007, 05:25 PM
TMCNo1 TMCNo1 is offline
MC Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: Gone
Location: Gone
Posts: 22,134
The clunk when taking off is the hitch portion of the actuator disengaging from the mastercylinder and the forward dowel hitting the end of the slot it travels in. A clunk when slowing down, should not normally happen and may be a result of no fluid or low fluid level in the mastercylinder or the shock absorber in the actuator has become weak and or has failed. The serious clunking while towing empty is the trailer basically bouncing around doing what it wants to, because the weight of the boat is what makes the brakes work as they were designed and that is with a load. If you trailered around all the time with the trailer empty, there isn't enough weight back there for the trailer to need brakes.
Disc brakes do not need nor do they have a way to be adjusted, outside of keeping the mastercylinder properly filled.
__________________
Charter Member Number 1

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.




Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Hrkdrivr's Avatar
Hrkdrivr Hrkdrivr is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Boat: MasterCraft X-45, 2006, L18, slate gray/white
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 688
Thanks Numero Uno...I'll have them check the fluid level and the shock absorber BEFORE I take delivery...TOMORROW!!! WOOHOO!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:52 AM.


2018