Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-11-2018, 03:48 PM
sten76's Avatar
sten76 sten76 is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Boat: 2015 X-23, 6.2L
Location: Midwest
Posts: 225
X-23 Battery Usage Time Out of Water

How long can I go with the audio system on when I am cleaning the boat and what not, out of the water. Or how long can I use the stereo on the water floating? I would hate to drain the battery completely and it won't start. It has two batteries, but I am not sure how they talk to each other or if one if for starting and one is for extras.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-11-2018, 03:52 PM
Mastercraftdave's Avatar
Mastercraftdave Mastercraftdave is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 4,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by sten76 View Post
How long can I go with the audio system on when I am cleaning the boat and what not, out of the water. Or how long can I use the stereo on the water floating? I would hate to drain the battery completely and it won't start. It has two batteries, but I am not sure how they talk to each other or if one if for starting and one is for extras.
I think this question can vary depending on the total wattage of the system, how much you have it cracked up, condition of the existing battery, are you hooking the battery up to a charging station when not in use etc.

Typically, if you are juts using it while you clean, 1-2 hours, you are more than fine. If you are parked at a cove and cranking the music for 4-8 hours, then you could run into problems.

As for the X23 setup, I mainly run my switch on the first battery and have the second as a spare. Im not sure how the system is wired, but I do have an onboard charger and I haven't ever had an issue with 4 hours of play time.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-11-2018, 11:01 PM
Gavin Gavin is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Boat: 2004 Malibu 23 LSV, 1990 Prostar 190
Location: Midwest
Posts: 489
You don't want drained batteries sitting around even if it's only 50% so you'll want a charger.

If it's just once in a while use a regular old alligator clip style batter charger when you're done cleaning. Or you could do what many on here have done and install an on board charger.
__________________
I'm an Indy Skiers member. Contact me about course skiing in Indianapolis.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-12-2018, 07:54 AM
MattsCraft's Avatar
MattsCraft MattsCraft is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: May 2008
Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,792
The battery wiring on the newer boats, 2012 on for sure with a dual batt set up is... Batt 1 is for starting only, batt 2 is for all your house stuff - Lights, stereo etc. Combine, marries the 2 for extra power should you run Batt 1 too low to start the engine.

IMO, with all the electronics, Big screen, high power stereo etc. The standard size Marine Batt just does not have enough power to sustain all this stuff. Long story short, I was having issues on my 2013 with the amps shutting down due to lack of voltage (protect mode) even with running, chilling, running in a full day. The alternator could not keep up.

Once I replaced my "House Batt" with this - All my problems went away. When at home, I always run them on a float charger etc.

https://4xspower.com/shop/product-category/xp-series/ XP3000 is the way to go!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-12-2018, 03:44 PM
btriantos's Avatar
btriantos btriantos is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 2018 X23, 6000GDI
Location: West coast
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsCraft View Post
The battery wiring on the newer boats, 2012 on for sure with a dual batt set up is... Batt 1 is for starting only, batt 2 is for all your house stuff - Lights, stereo etc. Combine, marries the 2 for extra power should you run Batt 1 too low to start the engine.

IMO, with all the electronics, Big screen, high power stereo etc. The standard size Marine Batt just does not have enough power to sustain all this stuff. Long story short, I was having issues on my 2013 with the amps shutting down due to lack of voltage (protect mode) even with running, chilling, running in a full day. The alternator could not keep up.

Once I replaced my "House Batt" with this - All my problems went away. When at home, I always run them on a float charger etc.

https://4xspower.com/shop/product-category/xp-series/ XP3000 is the way to go!
Couldn't agree more....lot going on in these boats today and I don't take the chance to reduce any power from batteries as possible. I have a UE BOOM for cleaning time... Bluetooth from iPhone and good enough volume to get your help in a better mood about cleaning. No point in draining your batteries for this unless you have a battery charger you can plug into while doing it....even then, I would avoid going negative with what is coming in v what is going out from a power perspective.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-20-2018, 12:38 PM
JASNOLA JASNOLA is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Boat: MasterCraft X-23, 2017, 6000 GDI
Location: South
Posts: 3
Dave brand/model on board charger are you using?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-20-2018, 01:20 PM
Loewen's Avatar
Loewen Loewen is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: May 2015
Boat: 2017 X23 6000GDI (previous boat was 2014 X25) (4 other boats prior, but none MC)
Location: Central States
Posts: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Loewen
https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABE...2.uts?slotId=1

I just use these chargers and have been very happy with their performance. 12amp 2 bank. Have one on my fishing boat and one on our X23. That will provide 6 amps per bank charging, which will fully charge even heavily drained batteries overnight, plus you can leave it plugged in as much as you like. It's a smart charger.

Whatever you get, make sure it is a 2 bank charger, so it will charge both batteries.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-20-2018, 08:07 PM
JASNOLA JASNOLA is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Boat: MasterCraft X-23, 2017, 6000 GDI
Location: South
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loewen View Post
https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABE...2.uts?slotId=1

I just use these chargers and have been very happy with their performance. 12amp 2 bank. Have one on my fishing boat and one on our X23. That will provide 6 amps per bank charging, which will fully charge even heavily drained batteries overnight, plus you can leave it plugged in as much as you like. It's a smart charger.

Whatever you get, make sure it is a 2 bank charger, so it will charge both batteries.
Got it thx. Will look into the cabelas chargers.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:08 AM.


2018