MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
Peppermint oil is 10X better than dryer sheets or moth balls
Old 12-19-2017, 11:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 X-45 w/L18
Went to the storage today. To my dismay, there's devastation everywhere - ballast hoses, fenders, etc. Pretty much anything that's rubber. I started the engine and ran it for a few seconds so hopefully the damage is minimal and doesn't affect the engine.
Wondering if insurance will cover the damage.

I left rat poison, dryer sheets, and mothballs all over the boat so hopefully there's no further damage. Rat droppings all over the boat, but I did another confirmation that there's no food or water on it.

I swear I have the worst luck.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:16 AM
MC Devotee

That really stinks. What type of storage are you using? Almost sounds as if you're in some kind of a barn. If you are, I would try to find another source. Had the same problem with a runabout I once had.
Good luck man, sounds like you need some.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 mastercraft CSX, mcx350.
More problems - winterize fail

See, peppermint oil would have done the trick 😉😎. How are they getting on the boat in the first place ? . They can t jump through the drain hole or climb up the side of the boat. I don t think they are climbing up the guide poles. In at least a decade of owning boats, Ive never had mice/rat problems (ever). And I leave all my boats outside. They have to be jumping from something else onto the boat ? . Sounds like you have a hamster strip joint/maze/fun house in your boat 😊. Dryer sheets will do nothing and mouth balls are toxic to people. Sorry for your luck, and good luck to ya!

Sent from my iPhone using stupid Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2017, 08:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

It's in a boat/RV storage - it's a cement slab, 12'(w)x36'(l)x14'(h) enclosure with walls all around. Lots of boats there - probably over 150 units.

The boat is uncovered when it's in the storage, but that's intentional, as I leave all compartments open so they can air out

It sits around 2' from each side wall, so you're right in that the only way something could get ONTO the boat would be climb up the tires or the front jack. I suppose it could jump from the top of the wall, but these are rats/mice, not ninjas (right?)

I'm going to contact the storage management to see what they suggest
Old 12-20-2017, 09:06 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Think I’m gonna go cover ours while it’s in storage too... this gives me nightmares. Sorry about your bad luck. Hopefully you’ll be all up and running for lone star masterbash round 2!

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018

Details released eventually

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- For Sale
Old 12-20-2017, 09:22 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbuffalo View Post
See, peppermint oil would have done the trick 😉😎. How are they getting on the boat in the first place ? . They can t jump through the drain hole or climb up the side of the boat. I don t think they are climbing up the guide poles. In at least a decade of owning boats, Ive never had mice/rat problems (ever). And I leave all my boats outside. They have to be jumping from something else onto the boat ? . Sounds like you have a hamster strip joint/maze/fun house in your boat 😊. Dryer sheets will do nothing and mouth balls are toxic to people. Sorry for your luck, and good luck to ya!

You're entitled to your opinion. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 mastercraft CSX, mcx350.
More problems - winterize fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
You're entitled to your opinion. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Right!! So don t knock it till you tried it. I see it differently than you, I guess. We get wiser as we get older ( until old timers kicks in) 😁. We used peppermint oil in my wife s van, and it worked with mice!!. Mice/rats are nocturnal and use their noise and whiskers to see at nite, that s why it works. We didn’t use the other stuff, because reasons listed above.

Any who!...We need to shut this hamster strip joint/whore house DOWN!!.. ASAP!!

Probably the reason they are seeking your boat out is because the owner of the storage is using bait to kill the rats/mice, and they are seeking out water before they die. IMO!

Old 12-20-2017, 11:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

well I had a 24 pack of ozarka bottled water, but almost every bottle has a hole in it, so they've certainly got all the water they need/want

Virtually impossible to drain every drop of water out of the ballast tanks and hoses though

My fear is that there's an engine cooling circuit hose somewhere that's chewed through that I just don't know about yet. it routes all the way through the driver seat for the heat.
hopefully the antifreeze that's mixed in with it now will prevent them eating through engine hoses
Old 12-20-2017, 11:28 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '15 X10 6.0L, '15 X30 6.2L
Confirmed that mice are ninjas. Ninjas need to be eradicated. If you don't take them out, they will take you out.

This is one circumstance that it does not pay to be nice. Do not be nice to mice. Use your entire arsenal suited to your circumstances.

Bastards.