Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2017, 08:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC 2002 X30
I would get some traps and bait them with peanut butter, set them all over inside the boat. You will probably catch some the first night.

moth balls do work well but I have moved to trapping, I think I have about 10 traps in my storage building
Old 12-12-2017, 08:44 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '15 X10 6.0L, '15 X30 6.2L
Sorry to hear, nothing more disheartening to do the right things to take care of your gear and find an unexpected breach.

Unfortunately, rodents can cause big and sometimes near permanent damage. You gotta go nuclear and get them out of there and your surrounding property and other stuff.

I lost a great vehicle to rodents, one that I lovingly modded, upgraded, and tended to like it was an MC. Farking mice made a home in it while stored in what I thought was secure indoor storage and she never was the same, had to sell it. Property damage from chewing through stuff is one thing, but the stench of them making a longer-term home is nearly unsolvable.

You gotta get after them in a big, relentless way. In winter climates, you may have to go after them proactively every season. Poison, traps, moth balls, plenty of tactics use them all so long as you are also cognizant of kids and other pets.

There’s a humorous thread on TT about bees or other such pests. Rodents are not humorous. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Real-Kil...96-3/100208417
Old 12-13-2017, 12:32 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 maristar 210
I just don't vacuum the carpet in my boat. That way mice/rats spend time finding Cheetos crumbs instead of eating something important.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
here is another idea that works wonderfully...
get a 5gal bucket put a hole on each side.. run a coat hanger and put a can on it in the middle and it should rotate freely put about 1.5gal of antifreeze in the bucket put some peanut butter on the can and a ramp for them to go up it.. set it away from your boat.... you can search for one on the interweb.. you would not believe how many you can catch... if these are bigger rodents then you may have to get a bigger bucket...
Old 12-13-2017, 01:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
I go with the dryer sheets and add a few mothballs. Works really nice for me; even smells great at the onset of the next season.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:35 PM

Boat: XT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
get a 5gal bucket put a hole on each side.. run a coat hanger and put a can on it in the middle and it should rotate freely put about 1.5gal of antifreeze in the bucket put some peanut butter on the can and a ramp for them to go up it.. set it away from your boat.... you can search for one on the interweb.. you would not believe how many you can catch... if these are bigger rodents then you may have to get a bigger bucket...
I first read about this method about 10 years ago on TT. Whoever posted it then called it "grandpa's mouse trap" or something like that. I've tried to find that post (and they didn't claim it as an original idea) a few times without luck. They used it at a hunting cabin. Seems like a great solution. (I fortunately have not needed to try it)
Old 12-14-2017, 07:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x-14 2008 mcx
The bucket and peanut butter trap works well.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:12 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 maristar 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
This works great. Works on mice and chipmunks that get into your garden.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
Peppermint oil is 10X better than dryer sheets or moth balls