Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2017, 12:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Sporkcraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHPRO View Post
Theres no $ in parts! its a volume biz as margins are so thin. If it was a huge company they'd probably have honored the mistake...Not saying they're right, but Im finding it happens more in this internet economy that retailers are already working so thin that they sacrifice customer service more than ever before.
Thats why it pays to shop local, pay a little more and have a real live human to shake hands with when things go south.
No money in parts? really? most places mark up prices 120% or more.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Lot of interesting perspectives. Don't agree with the "bait and switch" analogy as someone would have to be actually planing on this and replacing the product in question which from what I can tell based on the limited information is not the case. No where in the original post did I see a substituted item being offered.

As to mark up. Sure if you scrape your prop on a rock in the middle of nowhere on July 3rd and go to a dealer for a new one you're going to pay at least list. That being said most parts being offered on discount site are indeed discounted and there fore the margin is not there anymore like it was at list.

Trying to blackball a company because they had one miss-marked item is certainly the new way of the world it seems. From bakers to car dealers everyone seems quick to want to destroy a business no matter how small the offense. I'm personally done with this vigilante mob mentality. Count me out if you're pushing for boycotting someone over one simple pricing error.

Think of it this way.... You go to list something on Craig's list for say, $150 but you screw up and it gets posted for $15. Someone shows up to buy it and hands you the $15. So do you let it go for $15 to prove your integrity and maintain your reputation or do you apologize and inform the potential "customer" of your error? Right, that's what I thought.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Prostar
Pricing errors happen. I've worked in catalog/ecommerce for years, and unless there is intent to fraud, there's no law being broken by this company. I'd echo what @bturner2 just wrote.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
No money in parts? really? most places mark up prices 120% or more.
It certainly is how companies like John Deere and Cat make money, but I can see the point when you are talking about boats. The expensive marked up parts are usually the "hull specific" items, but if you're willing to convert parts and find workarounds you don't really spend a ton of cash on the main structure of the boat.

Compare it to somewhere like Cat and they plan on people replacing roller pins and bushings and the like all through out the life of the equipment and you either buy it from them or you hire a machinist.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 89 Prostar 190
I am curious as to which site it was actually?
Old 12-11-2017, 05:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X-star 5.7L LTR, 2000 Prostar 190 5.7L LTR, both dark green
My opinion is this: post your objective experience and let the cards fall wherever they may. Let the people that read your post decide whether or not they want to deal with this company. Often, things like this are indicators of the company's customer service support.

I would agree with others that there is really nothing you can do to force them to honor the price mistake. However, posting your experience might make them more inclined to work with you, and make them realize working with their customers is an important part of business.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:52 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 81 mastercraft stars & stripes 351w
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdskier View Post
Don't be ridiculous. People make mistakes. Do not punish them that way. If you posted something on CL and left off a zero in your ad, would you honor the price?

Georgetown University book store recently had a glitch in their system. It was supposed to be that if you bought an Apple computer, you would get a Beats headphone for free. The system would let you put the beats headphones in your cart for $0 and checkout without buying the Mac. A ton of students figured it out and tried to get them for free. They fixed the website and did not honor the $0 headphones w/o purchasing a Mac. Nor should they have.
Your correct, people do make mistakes. If I place an add on CL though I am able to look at my add before posting it. If I review it and don't catch my error then I made the same mistake two times. Not to mention no one in their right mind is going to purchase something off of CL sight unseen. If I come to your house and tell you I will add a garage on your house for say $25000 but as it turns out I forgot to Include the price of the concrete in my estimate and I tell you you after the contract has been signed I can't come back to you and expect you to shell out the extra expense. You post a price you accept the person's payment, you honor it.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:11 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Yep, winter

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018

Details released 12/17!!!!

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- For Sale
Old 12-11-2017, 11:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 Tige RZR....previous 2011 197 WTT