Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 12-16-2017, 12:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft ProStar 190 1999 330HP Powerslot - 1st MC 1987 ProStar Current 2012 ProStar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by snork View Post
low oil alarm? could be a glitch in the warning system, was there any knocking sounds, what was the oil pressure at the time?
somethings not adding up on this one
Snork - there was absolutely no knocking sound at all. The boat was running perfectly. When the alarm went off it read "no oil pressure" on the screen.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:58 PM

Boat: XT22
Hoping here that Ilmore will help you out.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft ProStar 190 1999 330HP Powerslot - 1st MC 1987 ProStar Current 2012 ProStar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
Hoping here that Ilmore will help you out.
Thanks John....I really appreciate it. Need a little Xmas miracle.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Recent update: Not good! Ilmor finally called my dealer back and they had a "conversation" which basically ended with Ilmor giving me a $500 coupon.........yup a $500 coupon...... I'm sorry but that is a slap in the face. Now I will be reaching out to Ilmor......... As a customer this is BS... Their product failed. I don't expect them to give me a new motor for free but they should do something and stand behind their product! I will be reaching out to MasterCraft as well. I know MC doesn't make the motor but its a partnership they agreed too. I've had two other MC's with Indmar's in them and NEVER had an issue.

I'm open to any suggestions before I make the call.......
Old 01-02-2018, 04:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 197
Go get em' Tiger... And Good luck!... You are absolutely correct... With full service records from the dealership and that low of hours the 3 year warranty shouldn't mean a thing with this kind of failure... I'd bet a paycheck that your motor had a defect from the beginning that caused this...
AND... $500 coupon???? That's an insult.. (might consider wiping your @$$ with that) MC is better than this boys! Hope you corp. guys are listening!!!
Old 01-02-2018, 04:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2018 XStar that's trying to be a 40th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 1999 ProStar View Post
Recent update: Not good! Ilmor finally called my dealer back and they had a "conversation" which basically ended with Ilmor giving me a $500 coupon.........yup a $500 coupon...... I'm sorry but that is a slap in the face. Now I will be reaching out to Ilmor......... As a customer this is BS... Their product failed. I don't expect them to give me a new motor for free but they should do something and stand behind their product! I will be reaching out to MasterCraft as well. I know MC doesn't make the motor but its a partnership they agreed too. I've had two other MC's with Indmar's in them and NEVER had an issue.

I'm open to any suggestions before I make the call.......
I feel like I have to be "that guy", and reality check this just a little bit for you..... just to make sure you know a few details....

1) Ilmore did not assemble that engine. GM did, at their engine plant. If you want to blame somebody for any issue with internal parts on that engine, it's technically GM that should be blamed.

2) Ilmore only installs the intake, and exhaust manifolds, the belt driven components, and the paint. They develop the running software, and the external coolant systems. The only engine that they build, is the LSX 7.4l. All others are preassembled long blocks, straight from GM.

3) I know your experience is a bad one, but I can tell you, that on average, the Ilmores have been way better than the indmars were. It's not even funny how much less problems they have had.

4) I know the situation sucks, but, your boat is 3 years out of warranty. How much do you really expect them to do??

5) the real mystery is what caused it. I can tell you with all certainty, that if the main bearing was bad/incorrectly assembled at the factory, it would have killed that engine within a couple hours of running. No if's, and's, or but's about that. That part of the engine just won't last, if there is even the tiniest thing out of spec....... and I'm not talking hours. Failure would come in minutes. It's just the way it is. If we were talking about a valvetrain issue, or cam bearings, or something like that, it would be different. However, a main bearing, or rod bearing......nope. That 2012 boat would have been getting a new engine in 2012.

So, was it an oil pump failure? Was it some other oil supply issue? Did you get a bad oil filter at one point? (Yes, is have seen this).

Quite honestly, I have my ideas.......

With Main bearing #1 failing, I'm guessing there was a contamination problem at some point in its life. An oil starvation problem would take out the connecting rod bearings way before the main bearing failed. However, the front and rear main bearings are the first thing lubricated in the oiling sequence, so, metal filings, dirt, etc., hits that first, and wouldn't be as easily fed through the crankshaft to the rod bearings.

I can definitely understand your frustration, but ask any reputable engine builder how long a bottom end will last, if it was assembled improperly. They aren't going to tell you 150 hours, and 6 years. They are gonna say, 5 seconds to a few hours.

I just don't think it would be a great idea for you to jump down Ilmore's throat. Ultimately, it was not their fault, no matter how you look at it. Yes, they should stand behind this failure during the warranty period, even though they didn't actually assemble it. But this engine is way out of warranty. I think being nice to them, and asking for some "good will", will net you better results than getting pissy with them, and demanding help for an engine that is way out of warranty. Just my humble opinion...... kill them with kindness, and patience, while still expressing your disbelief in the situation you have ended up in.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
I am not someone that’s too savvy on engines, but I have a question… Wouldn’t the reason(s) you’d spin a bearing because you either got too low on oil, or over revved the engine? Maybe I am missing something…?

Your situation sucks, no doubt, but I feel there is more blamecasting than fact in this thread.

But to take into consideration your options - you can either re-build what you had, replace the long block or replace the entire motor.

Sometimes replacing your long block with a brand new (or slightly used if you can find one) factory long block and re-using your short block is the fastest, cheapest and most reliable option (due to labor costs). And sometimes when you repair the damages, it never runs properly again.

Sorry about your boat, it does suck.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourty View Post
I feel like I have to be "that guy", and reality check this just a little bit for you..... just to make sure you know a few details....

1) Ilmore did not assemble that engine. GM did, at their engine plant. If you want to blame somebody for any issue with internal parts on that engine, it's technically GM that should be blamed.

2) Ilmore only installs the intake, and exhaust manifolds, the belt driven components, and the paint. They develop the running software, and the external coolant systems. The only engine that they build, is the LSX 7.4l. All others are preassembled long blocks, straight from GM.

3) I know your experience is a bad one, but I can tell you, that on average, the Ilmores have been way better than the indmars were. It's not even funny how much less problems they have had.

4) I know the situation sucks, but, your boat is 3 years out of warranty. How much do you really expect them to do??

5) the real mystery is what caused it. I can tell you with all certainty, that if the main bearing was bad/incorrectly assembled at the factory, it would have killed that engine within a couple hours of running. No if's, and's, or but's about that. That part of the engine just won't last, if there is even the tiniest thing out of spec....... and I'm not talking hours. Failure would come in minutes. It's just the way it is. If we were talking about a valvetrain issue, or cam bearings, or something like that, it would be different. However, a main bearing, or rod bearing......nope. That 2012 boat would have been getting a new engine in 2012.

So, was it an oil pump failure? Was it some other oil supply issue? Did you get a bad oil filter at one point? (Yes, is have seen this).

Quite honestly, I have my ideas.......

With Main bearing #1 failing, I'm guessing there was a contamination problem at some point in its life. An oil starvation problem would take out the connecting rod bearings way before the main bearing failed. However, the front and rear main bearings are the first thing lubricated in the oiling sequence, so, metal filings, dirt, etc., hits that first, and wouldn't be as easily fed through the crankshaft to the rod bearings.

I can definitely understand your frustration, but ask any reputable engine builder how long a bottom end will last, if it was assembled improperly. They aren't going to tell you 150 hours, and 6 years. They are gonna say, 5 seconds to a few hours.

I just don't think it would be a great idea for you to jump down Ilmore's throat. Ultimately, it was not their fault, no matter how you look at it. Yes, they should stand behind this failure during the warranty period, even though they didn't actually assemble it. But this engine is way out of warranty. I think being nice to them, and asking for some "good will", will net you better results than getting pissy with them, and demanding help for an engine that is way out of warranty. Just my humble opinion...... kill them with kindness, and patience, while still expressing your disbelief in the situation you have ended up in.
FourFourty - I appreciate your feedback and "reality check". That is why I asked TT........ To be clear I wasn't going to call Ilmor guns blazing. I know through my 45 years of living on this earth that's not the way to handle it. I also understand it's a chevy motor however they put the ILMOR name on it. I am absolutely asking for some good-will based on all the reasons stated prior. If I beat the piss out of the boat I know I would absolutely have no leg to stand on. I just firmly believe that if you don't speak up for yourself no one will. I think if you said nothing then shame on you.

Perfect example my buddy had an early 2000's Fat boy with low miles on it and something happen where the motor blew (out of warranty)......Harley Davison worked with him to come to an agreeable solution (he was happy and HD stood by their product)....Not a $500 coupon.... We buy a MasterCraft or a Harley because you know you're buying quality. There's a reason we pay top dollar.

Again I appreciate your input and I completely understand with everything you said (its not the first time someone has said the exact thing since it happened). Also I "could" be blamed too if I let the oil go too low or ran the crap out of the motor but that's not the case. I checked the oil prior too and after. The most frustrating point to this all is we can't determine who it happened.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:17 PM
MC Addict

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
I believe that between the dealer and Ilmor they need to help you out here more ... that is what they are supposed to do

Escalate within MC and make sure you document this with a letter

i just checked LinkedIn and there are several Ilmor engineering/quality leaders there ... connect with them and send them i message. i did that with Polaris and it was resolved within a day

Situation sucks completely ... yes its out of warranty but still within the spirit and letter of a quality product

keep pushing and good luck
Old 01-02-2018, 06:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RLAKE View Post
I believe that between the dealer and Ilmor they need to help you out here more ... that is what they are supposed to do

Escalate within MC and make sure you document this with a letter

i just checked LinkedIn and there are several Ilmor engineering/quality leaders there ... connect with them and send them i message. i did that with Polaris and it was resolved within a day

Situation sucks completely ... yes its out of warranty but still within the spirit and letter of a quality product

keep pushing and good luck
Thanks 2RLAKE. I do have a contact for both Ilmor and MC. And too funny I totally creeped on LinkedIn.