Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 09-15-2017, 09:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
Insurance

Just curious as to what you guys use for insurance? ...not just for the boat, but for EVERYTHING (car, home, etc).

I have been with State Farm for everything for over 25 years now and just feel like I'm not getting the service that I used to. Before they would search high and low to get me good discounts considering my driving records, and I liked the idea of having everything bundled. Now, not so much. Their agents are basically just a waste of headcount because it seems like I have to go through all the red tape myself now for a claim anyway. That and I know I've been overpaying for all this "convenience".

So what say you? What do you guys use for various assets, and have you been satisfied with pricing and service?
Old 09-15-2017, 09:22 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2017 X10
I went and got myself a broker and trusted to manage it all. We use a few different companies, but when you start have 6-7-8-9 etc policies you need to make sure they all "work" together to meet minimum coverage and to also not have duplicate coverage that couldn't be used.

Might be good to find yourself someone similar who isn't vendor specific. They can search to find the best policy and I've found their pro-activeness and responsiveness worth every penny they get paid.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
After about 20 years with Farmers for everything (home, cars, trucks, boat, trailers, rental properties, etc.) ... but about 3 years ago, we had a wind and hail storm, started the claim process, they said no evidence of hail damage on our roof, we elevated and brought in 3 independent appraisers who all stated there was significant hail damage, Farmers said nope, we elevated up another 2-3 levels including bringing an arbitrator and a "referee", all which stated significant hail damage ... Farmers refused it every time and it came down to taking them to court. I discussed with a couple of friends that are attorneys and they all said it would be a lost cause as the insurance company has huge teams to lawyers and even if we did win, it would cost more in legal fees than the roof would be worth. We started shopping but everyone of the agents said they could save us money BUT we would need a new roof before they could write the policy on our home. We paid directly out of pocket for a new roof ($26k) and got the new policies in place and after about a month (when next premium was due) later, we get a call from our previous Farmers agent asking why we changed ... really???

so I would NOT recommend Farmers!!!

The agent we went with was an independent agent who did his homework finding the best coverage for least payment from various companies and saved us around $5k annually.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
I just switched to Skisafe for my boat. It saved me $100 off my old policy from Metlife. I have Metlife for everything else. My company has a deal with them and my premiums get deducted from my paycheck, which is nice. I don't get hit by a big bill twice a year as before.

When I shopped for new boat insurance, I also shopped for home and auto just to see. I checked with 2 different independent agents and a State Farm agent. State Farm was definitely the highest priced by several hundred dollars. I had State Farm Auto for the 1st 20 years of driving a car. They were great back in the day, but they have definitely raised their rates and the customer service is no where close to what it had been.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1980 Glastron Carlson CVX-16 Deluxe w 1981 Evinrude 140
Exactly my experience. Dropped them like a rock after 35 years, went with Geico on cars and Safeco on the house and have been VERY satisfied. Farmers sucks!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmkkdx View Post
After about 20 years with Farmers for everything (home, cars, trucks, boat, trailers, rental properties, etc.) ... but about 3 years ago, we had a wind and hail storm, started the claim process, they said no evidence of hail damage on our roof, we elevated and brought in 3 independent appraisers who all stated there was significant hail damage, Farmers said nope, we elevated up another 2-3 levels including bringing an arbitrator and a "referee", all which stated significant hail damage ... Farmers refused it every time and it came down to taking them to court. I discussed with a couple of friends that are attorneys and they all said it would be a lost cause as the insurance company has huge teams to lawyers and even if we did win, it would cost more in legal fees than the roof would be worth. We started shopping but everyone of the agents said they could save us money BUT we would need a new roof before they could write the policy on our home. We paid directly out of pocket for a new roof ($26k) and got the new policies in place and after about a month (when next premium was due) later, we get a call from our previous Farmers agent asking why we changed ... really???

so I would NOT recommend Farmers!!!

The agent we went with was an independent agent who did his homework finding the best coverage for least payment from various companies and saved us around $5k annually.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:10 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2008 X14, w/ LY6 400HP
Similar story on home and car. Signed up with a Liberty Mutual agent in 95 when I bought my first house. 16 years later, he is gone and I have no contact with anyone and, IMO, paying too much with a 16 yo male driver coming on board. Went with a friends broker and she saved me a ton, even with my son on there. We're still with her but she moved us to Travelers for now. Just a deer claim on my Avalanche so far with no issue.

The boat has always been with Progressive and had a decent claim back in 04, and price has remained consistent. No issues otherwise.

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 09-19-2017, 07:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 basstracker, 2000 Targa 210, 2007 mastercraft CSX..
We've been with same Allstate agent since I got my first car ( approx 23 years ago ) They have been good to us, but we do have to beitch if they start to raise the rates, and then they lower it. We just recently had a new agent with allstate ( my agents son) so he really jacked my rates up. Then I start searching around for better rates. Next thing ya know he's calling me telling me they found a ton of good discounts...lmao.. no sh$t, I told him good, I'll stay with you guys ( I'm thinking I'm my head what an a$$ hole). And mind you this is with two very small claims on the house, one on the truck, and one ticket my wife had.

We also sued them five years ago. Because my wife was t-boned by a Richard that blew through a red light ( totaled my hummer). And so, because they didn't want to pay her the three years off that our Laywer knew was a standard for being disabled, they tried to avoid it, and didn't want to do their part like it said in their policy. As long as they keep it low I will stay with them. But I do believe the length and how well you know your agent plays a big factor, also with everything in a package deal, house, boat, etc, etc.

I have also "heard" bad stuff about State Farm

I know it a PITA to look, and give all the info, but it's worth it.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:20 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
I recently dropped state farm for auto and went to Gieco and ended up saving about $100 a month. State farm has gotten out of hand where we are and they service isn't all that great anymore.

My house is though a separate company called ASI which is backed by Progressive. ASI is highly rated in South Louisiana, but I'm not sure how they are in other places.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:32 AM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
I've been with GEICO for 30+ years and I've only made two claims with them. Other then the cost going up 50 bucks a year it's been pretty good.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 09-20-2017, 06:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
Thanks for all the replies guys! I started shopping around today by calling an independent agency as suggested. I'm just in the beginning stages so I'll let y'all know how it turns out. Should be a good exercise that I probably should have done years ago.

It's sad that insurance has come to this...almost feels like when you have to shop for cable providers and change your plan every other year.