Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 04-17-2018, 08:18 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1988 ProStar200 w/ 98 evinrude vindicator 200
88 prostar 200 fuel tank rot

I've been fixing my uncle's boat that he left for me. He had 5 gallon can hoses hooked up, I eliminated that to begin using the boats tank. I removed the tank to find a nickel size hole rotted through the bottom rear under the fuel outlet. Inside the tank from what I can see looks decent as the metal is shiny. The tank itself is 30 gallons at 48"L x 24"W x 7"H. The below deck section the tank sits in is 25" wide with angled sides.

I have looked for this size tank, only to find similar size tanks, not exact, as well as all of them having a fuel outlet at the top front of the tank. If I were to get a plastic one, what size and would the front fuel outlet matter. I feel like for this boat the fuel tank was purposely designed that way and I shouldn't change it. Do I replace with aluminum or plastic? Can I get this welded and patched? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you
Attached Images

Last edited by mcsurfnj; 04-17-2018 at 08:21 PM. Reason: add fuel capacity of tank
Old 04-17-2018, 08:34 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I would say you're option would be to have a custom one made.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
I see the label is still on your tank. See if the company is still in business. If so, maybe they have a direct replacement. Your PS200 is a 89-91 model, the jet fighter look deck started in 89.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:34 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1987 Prostar 190
moeller fuel tanks. My old plastic tank , 87 prostar direct drive, has a pinhole leak. Shop won't repair, so having a new one made out of aluminum for $550.00. Tanks this old are ready for replacement. check out the refurbishment thread where there is a lot of information under my handle "Harborseal". suggestions on how to repair are discussed as well as replacement source.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:03 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1987 Prostar 190
titled "gas tank problems 87 prostar".
Old 04-27-2018, 10:31 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft, X10, 2004, restored and modified for salt use
Tank rot

I am in the metal fab and powder coating business and as far as tank rot goes that is bad. Donít bother trying to fix it and donít let anyone tell you it can be. I had that exact boat and had tank issues with it as well. Mine was not a bottom rot issue but a pick up rot problem. In Florida, people like me who will fab tanks are pretty common. I have seen these shipped all over the country. I can give you a quote so you will know approximately what you should be paying if you send me a good sketch. It has been about 20 years since I sold mine. I am now looking for another one so if you ever decide to sell it let me know. Where are you, CT? That first pick looks like the river valley.