Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 09-04-2017, 07:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 prostar 190
What model year was the switch over to galvanized trailers ?

Really just curious if there was a specific year that mastercraft switched to galvanized trailers ? or was it just offered as an option while offering the painted version as well.
my 88 is galvanized. but i see some of similar and later years that were also painted. thx.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:54 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
My 85 is definitely not galvanized. I don't think it was ever standard

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 09-05-2017, 07:13 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190
I have seen a handful in 30 years. All boat trailers should galvanized in my opinion.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:20 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Galvanized was an option (still is), painted was/is standard.

If you do fresh water boating and take care of your trailer, a painted steel trailer should last the life of the boat. The key here is "take care of your trailer". For many a trailer is an after thought and something they have to buy when purchasing the boat. I see storage yards (without concrete or gravel) here full of trailers in the summer. The trailers are left in full sunlight, uncovered and up to the rims in mud sometimes. 10 years pass and the owner wonders why his trailer is falling apart.

I've owned boats for over 40 years and always buy used. Every used trailer I've purchased had something wrong with them at time of purchase that could be directly related to lack of maintenance. Brakes, rust, rotted tires, you name it. I've been able to restore every one of them but I live in the north far away from salt. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a painted steel trailer (if you take care of it) unless you add salt. Add salt and you'll have a fully rotted trailer in a couple years regardless of how well you think you've flushed it out.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft X Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Galvanized was an option (still is), painted was/is standard.

If you do fresh water boating and take care of your trailer, a painted steel trailer should last the life of the boat. The key here is "take care of your trailer". For many a trailer is an after thought and something they have to buy when purchasing the boat. I see storage yards (without concrete or gravel) here full of trailers in the summer. The trailers are left in full sunlight, uncovered and up to the rims in mud sometimes. 10 years pass and the owner wonders why his trailer is falling apart.

I've owned boats for over 40 years and always buy used. Every used trailer I've purchased had something wrong with them at time of purchase that could be directly related to lack of maintenance. Brakes, rust, rotted tires, you name it. I've been able to restore every one of them but I live in the north far away from salt. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a painted steel trailer (if you take care of it) unless you add salt. Add salt and you'll have a fully rotted trailer in a couple years regardless of how well you think you've flushed it out.
Definitely true on the importance of trailer maintenance. Anyone burned up a wheel bearing on the way to vacation can tell you it's a hard lesson learned!
Old 09-05-2017, 05:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 prostar 190
guys
thanks for the responses... frankly. when I bought the boat last year I didn't even notice the trailer was galvanized... or maybe it just seemed normal to me as my last load rite was galvanized also. plus with the matercraft trailers all you see is those big white fiberglass fenders.... anyway, on closer inspection this past weekend i noticed the bunks are beat. so thats my adventure for this weekend, that and navigating our long shallow access river. wish me luck.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
Discovered my '88 trailer is galvanized and painted.