Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 09-20-2017, 08:56 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: None
Intake Manifold help

I borrowed the below pic from another thread.

What are the two hoses on each side of the manifold?

With only one intake hose, how does it work? More suction from three pumps = more water. Assuming the intake hose is large enough in diameter, is it a linear relationship or is efficiency lost with the sytem? In other words, will the system be as fast as if the three pumps with individual intakes? I'm guessing not.

Would it much improve the system if the KGB/front intake is plumbed separately and the two rear tanks still run off the manifold?

Last edited by jesam; 09-20-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:11 AM
MC Fanatic

Last edited by jesam; 09-20-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002, X30, L-18
Remove the manifold, drill 2 more holes in the bottom of the boat and direct feed each ballast pump. The hose feeding the manifold is too small to provide enough water to fill all 3 ballast bags at the same time. On top of that, the manifold is too small also.

Then turn all 3 pumps so the impeller housing is pointing down and the motor is on top of the impeller housing.

Lastly, convert all hoses to 1" ID and remove all 1-way valves.

Done!!!
Old 09-20-2017, 12:49 PM
MC Fanatic

I bet it will work fine running the two rear tanks off the manifold, and plumb the front with another port. Seems like two would tax the manifold much less. Maybe not.....

If add two ports and each pump has its own port, what I don't like is the thought of one port being humongous, utilizing the existing intake, and the other two appropriately sized. The existing intake would require some serious necking down.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X30
The two hoses on the ends of the manifold are the drain lines. The intake and drain lines have check valves which only allow water to flow in one direction and prevent the pumps from sucking air in through the drain lines. This set-up only exists on boats with the drain lines out the sides of the boat. The existing intake hose is plenty to supply two pumps but not quite enough to supply all three simultaneously. To be clear, it will supply all three simultaneously, but at diminished capacity.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:31 PM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
That is a 3 inch intake and all the other lines were 1 inch from the factory.

There are check valves on two out side empty lines but there are no check valves on the fill lines.

It would be far better to plumb a through hull for each pump. For me, which is is my photo, I don't think pulling the manifold and plumbing each pump is worth the gain. For me that is. I have fill times that are less then 10 minutes which is equal to a couple of chilly ones.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 09-20-2017, 02:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Apparently there are only two discharge ports on the side of the boat? Seems like discharging will take longer than filling.

Is the intake (3"main) check valve in the manifold or in the line? I assume in the line but Tim didn't mention it.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:38 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesam View Post
Apparently there are only two discharge ports on the side of the boat? Seems like discharging will take longer than filling.

Is the intake (3"main) check valve in the manifold or in the line? I assume in the line but Tim didn't mention it.
One check valve in the intake hose to force emptying through the sides of the boat. Check valves in each "empty" hose to prevent pumps from sucking air when filling.

IIRC my fill hose is 2" or 2 1/2". It's not 3". If it were 3" there would be more than enough capacity to supply all 3 pumps simultaneously through the manifold.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:44 PM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Yeah IIRC the vent lines and the empty lines have the check valves. My boat is covered with the tower down but I'll double check the main line size.

Just check, I guess it is closer to 2.25 on the brass through hull.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 09-20-2017, 03:44 PM
MC Fanatic

Two discharge/empty ports on the side of the boat?