Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2018, 11:08 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 MasterCraft X30
What Is This?

I bought an '03 X30 this spring and maybe should have asked more questions but the seller didn't know a wrench from a screwdriver. While I was winterizing the boat this weekend i ran across this in the bilge. I'm guessing in the first picture this is a way to close off the lake water intake from the lake and hook a hose up add antifreeze to the system? I think the 2nd picture includes a backflow valve.

I also didn't realize how dirty the bilge was.... clearly at some point this boat had a lot a water down there that sat for an extended period of time.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2018, 11:22 AM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
The red handled seacock looks like a shut off valve for ballast water intake. The white fitting with the screw on cap behind it is used to get anti freeze into the ballast pumps/hoses/tanks.

Next time you have the boat out, turn the bilge pumps off and fill the bilge with some water. Add a cup of dawn dish soap and then tow the boat home/around. Once you get home drain and rinse.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 11-13-2018, 11:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
A bit hard to tell from the photo (location would help) but it looks like the intake for ballast with the seacock on it. If this is on the port side, it's the ballast intake. Raw water intake is starboard side. I have the same boat, and don't recall seeing a seacock on the raw water intake. I think there should be one, just haven't noticed one on my boat. Will try to get out today and see if I can confirm.

As far as cleaning, what Can't Repeat said. Folks have also recommended LA's Best (I think it's called) Cleaner. You can pick it up at the Dollar store. Same process- ballast pumps off, water in bilge, add soap/detergent, drive around, drain. Might need to do it a couple of times.
G
Old 11-13-2018, 09:13 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 MasterCraft X30
That is on the port side of the boat.

Is the antifreeze just to protect the ballast pumps? I wouldn’t think it would matter if the water in the tanks were to freeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2018, 09:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-14 MCX w/Powerslot
If the tanks have enough water in them and freeze, they'll crack...