Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 11-06-2016, 12:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: NotaMC
Power loading - over rated !?

Do any of you guys agree that Power Loading is Over Rated?

When I bought my 2003 197, it had the Boat Buddy (BB) Initially I thought this was pretty cool.

But after suffering for the bent pin syndrome, as most have I changed to the Ramp n Clamp (RNC) Better design!

I have to admit, yes you look really cool at the ramp when all goes perfect and you hit it just right, Right Speed, Straight and it locks in and you pull off looking like some kind of experienced bad arse.

But is it really worth the potential damage to your boat and/or trailer.

I had a talk with Bubbacase on this last night & both agreed that it really does not make any sense.

Even with the RNC, lake conditions change(Water level, Wind,etc) and every now and then you can come in just a little to fast. ( maybe had few beers or Redbulls) and slam the trailer, potentially damaging either or both.

Not possible to hit it perfect every single time or if you do, the latch or pin does not grab.
Worse case, you think it latched, driver pulls forward and your boat slips back, slams prop & shaft or falls off trailer.( Especially if you use bunk lube)

Plus, if you read the manual to both BB & RNC are not rated or meant for towing, you still have to use your trailer crank strap for towing.

After my experience, I find it easier, safer, and almost just as quick to pull up onto the trailer at a safe speed, get about 1 foot to the crank strap, and crank the boat up the rest of the way. Plus I can ensure that the back of the hull has settled onto the bunks correctly.

Looks really cool when you hit the BB or RNC right it latches, you pull of looking like a bad arse.

Then you have to back down the ramp, after you realize that the back of the hull is siting on the bunks wrong.

Anybody want to add thoughts or experiences to this?

Last edited by MC197indy; 11-06-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:09 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC197indy View Post
Do any of you guys agree that Power Loading is Over Rated?

When I bought my 2003 197, it had the Boat Buddy (BB) Initially I thought this was pretty cool.

But after suffering for the bent pin syndrome, as most have I changed to the Ramp n Clamp (RNC) Better design!

I have to admit, yes you look really cool at the ramp when all goes perfect and you hit it just right, Right Speed, Straight and it locks in and you pull off looking like some kind of experienced bad arse.

But is it really worth the potential damage to your boat and/or trailer.

I had a talk with Bubbacase on this last night & both agreed that it really does not make any sense.

Even with the RNC, lake conditions change(Water level, Wind,etc) and every now and then you can come in just a little to fast. ( maybe had few beers or Redbulls) and slam the trailer, potentially damaging either or both.

Not possible to hit it perfect every single time or if you do, the latch or pin does not grab.
Worse case, you think it latched, driver pulls forward and your boat slips back, slams prop & shaft or falls off trailer.( Especially if you use bunk lube)

Plus, if you read the manual to both BB & RNC are not rated or meant for towing, you still have to use your trailer crank strap for towing.

After my experience, I find it easier, safer, and almost just as quick to pull up onto the trailer at a safe speed, get about 1 foot to the crank strap, and crank the boat up the rest of the way. Plus I can ensure that the back of the hull has settled onto the bunks correctly.

Looks really cool when you hit the BB or RNC right it latches, you pull of looking like a bad arse.

Then you have to back down the ramp, after you realize that the back of the hull is siting on the bunks wrong.

Anybody want to add thoughts or experiences to this?
Boat Buddy isn't made for high speed loading and I would ask why you need to go fast for this, at all.

If looking like a bad arse is important to you, do it right, so you won't have to go back to fix it.

Try docking a 38' yacht (42' LOA) from the fly bridge into a narrow slip, with crosswind and choppy water, in one pass.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 MasterCraft X-20
Quote:

I do exactly that. I prefer nice and slow to the trailer then a little power to get the boat to a foot or two away and then crank the rest of the way.

2015 MasterCraft X-20 (current)
2009 MasterCraft X-2 (sold)
Old 11-06-2016, 02:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: NotaMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Boat Buddy isn't made for high speed loading and I would ask why you need to go fast for this, at all.

If looking like a bad arse is important to you, do it right, so you won't have to go back to fix it.

Try docking a 38' yacht (42' LOA) from the fly bridge into a narrow slip, with crosswind and choppy water, in one pass.
Pretty confident guy, sound like you might be a Bad arse if you can do that. WOW! lol.

I could careless what other people think, thats the point!

JimN = Have you not ever watched all the idiots at a busy boat ramp? Regardless if you are or are not trying to look like a bad arse. When you drive between all the boats loading, up your trailer, click, and pull out. Its hard to argue that it does not look pretty slick. But again it does not always work as it should, even if you are super experienced. Sh!T Happens.

Im on the side of not messing up me boat or trailer.

You have to be going slightly faster, or power load when on the trailer. Did not ever say "High Speed" or "GO Fast"

Last edited by MC197indy; 11-06-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X15, 1997 Prostar LT1
I don't feel like I power load,but at the same time I don't use the winch to load either. I've read a lot of posts about loading, and the different factors associated. The lake we go to 90% of time has 3 ramps that we use, depending on who I have to pick up; one is shallow, one is "normal", the other is darn steep. Never had a problem at any of these ramps, but I take my time too. I think it may have a lot to do with your tow vehicle driver too. My wife is my tow driver and she knows where the trailer needs to be on my initial approach, she knows how far to back when I get the boat initially settled, and on hookup, she know again how far the trailer needs to be. On strange ramps, we have hand signals that we use to communicate, and usually a lot of middle fingers being used! Seriously though, she again knows where the trailer needs to be, and then I'll use the come back hand signal to have her ease the trailer back. When I have someone else backing the trailer, I go over what needs to happen and how I want the trailer to that person. Tell them to watch me and my signals. Works out well. I've used a boat buddy for 20 years and the only problem I had was a broken spring on the trigger. Took it apart, changed the spring and was back in business. I tow with the winch snuggle to the bow eye.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:40 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X23
Back in the day when I was a kid my friends dad had a ski nautique and the trailer had the hard post in front, and the nose would butt up to. He only had a small pick up truck to haul it with and the ramp was somewhat steep so he would be in the boat and put it in gear at the same time the truck started to pull out, to help pull it out of the water. I can remember the prop still turning as the boat would come completely out of the water on the ramp. He wouldn't be giving it gas but it was still spinning from the previous 10ft. I thought wow that's cool, I've never seen anyone do this before.

By the way he still has the boat and it's still in great shape, so I guess it never hurt anything.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:46 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I power load only when I know the ramp. with my bow roller half out of water coming in idle and then popping into reverse to stop will put my 205 onto the bunks and stop before the v-bunk. Illinois river will spin the boat quick so you need to get the boat inside the guides at least. Then a little throttle and boat rides up slow and clicks.. then winch tight and drive out.. at unknown launches its idle up stop winch up.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2016, 06:43 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Pretty confident guy, sound like you might be a Bad arse if you can do that. WOW! lol.

JimN = Have you not ever watched all the idiots at a busy boat ramp? Regardless if you are or are not trying to look like a bad arse. When you drive between all the boats loading, up your trailer, click, and pull out. Its hard to argue that it does not look pretty slick. But again it does not always work as it should, even if you are super experienced. Sh!T Happens.

Im on the side of not messing up me boat or trailer.

You have to be going slightly faster, or power load when on the trailer. Did not ever say "High Speed" or "GO Fast"
When I stopped it, I just looked around and said "I meant to do that", sounding like Barney Fife.

I have watched too many times, usually when I was working and needed to launch or load. It gets old. OTOH, sitting at the side in a lawn chair with a cooler full of beer- good times!
Old 11-06-2016, 07:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
It's all about what you are comfortable about doing and the conditions. As the expression goes, whatever floats your boat. I powerload, sorta. Trailer set to correct depth. Drive up slow to put boat initially on trailer. Boat locked with chines between bunks. Power up gently until boat buddy clicks. Leave throttle on to keep boat up on boat buddy. Lean over front to attach and tighten bow strap. Probably more bent pins from boat sliding back than ramming forward.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
---
My wakeboard is calling, and I must go ride! ~~ Me
---
It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness. ~~ Chinese fortune cookie
Old 11-06-2016, 07:37 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
It's all about what you are comfortable about doing and the conditions. As the expression goes, whatever floats your boat. I powerload, sorta. Trailer set to correct depth. Drive up slow to put boat initially on trailer. Boat locked with chines between bunks. Power up gently until boat buddy clicks. Leave throttle on to keep boat up on boat buddy. Lean over front to attach and tighten bow strap. Probably more bent pins from boat sliding back than ramming forward.

Oh, my typical boat ramp is a mile long of concrete. LoL

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
---
My wakeboard is calling, and I must go ride! ~~ Me
---
It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness. ~~ Chinese fortune cookie