Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-20-2016, 05:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 X2
351W Mechanical fuel pump

So I'm working for correcting a mess that the previous owner made of our boat by installing the proper hard line from the fuel pump to the carburetor. Unfortunately I had to buy a new fuel pump in order to be able match the fuel line that skidim sells. My question is this... When installing the fittings to the fuel pump, what type of thread sealant do you guys recommend?

I know how much you guys like pictures so I attached a picture of the fuel filter that the PO installed using regular automotive fuel hose. I discovered that the automotive hose is dried out and cracking and the fuel filter is softening and was starting to leak. Needless to say I'm glad that I caught this. After looking at the rest of the fuel line it appeared to be original from '89 so I decided to go ahead and replace it all the way back to the fuel tank. I also got a new filter element for the water separator.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2016, 06:43 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy570 View Post
So I'm working for correcting a mess that the previous owner made of our boat by installing the proper hard line from the fuel pump to the carburetor. Unfortunately I had to buy a new fuel pump in order to be able match the fuel line that skidim sells. My question is this... When installing the fittings to the fuel pump, what type of thread sealant do you guys recommend?

I know how much you guys like pictures so I attached a picture of the fuel filter that the PO installed using regular automotive fuel hose. I discovered that the automotive hose is dried out and cracking and the fuel filter is softening and was starting to leak. Needless to say I'm glad that I caught this. After looking at the rest of the fuel line it appeared to be original from '89 so I decided to go ahead and replace it all the way back to the fuel tank. I also got a new filter element for the water separator.
My opinion and experience; no need for thread sealant. Each fitting should come with a hard thin gasket-type washer. If not, so be it. Tighten only to a snug fit. Any sealant is not worth using with gasoline leaking onto it. The key is a good fit at the connections.

Read this at least twice (all of it): After you get the pump bolted on, remove the carb. or at least loosen it at all four corners. Careful with the gasket; you'll need to re-use it.
Install the hard line onto the pump. Route the line (adjacent) to the carb. inlet. Stop. Raise the carb, align the fitting into the inlet and set the carb. down onto the fitting. Get the fitting started by hand into the inlet knowing it is not cross threaded and the hard line is not sprung or in a bind. Then set the carb back down onto the plate and tighten it down.

The connector threads are easily crossed and disfigured. Mostly because of a sprung ling while trying to fit it under and into the inlet fitting with the carb bolted down to the plate.

Last time: get the line in place at the pump, lift the carb and lower it onto the line at the inlet fitting, tighten by hand until you are 100% certain the fitting is in the inlet properly. Snug tight using two wrenches. Don't tighten with one wrench. Did I mention two wrenches?

Read this at least once more. Don't be tempted to short cut the removal of the carb.

That fuel filter should not be on the pressure side of the pump. And at this point, make sure you are using a marine application carb. An automobile carb. is not acceptable. Looks like you have a Holley 4160 and that is OK, but make sure you have the right type carb.

Whoever sold you that mess should be kicked right square in the nuts.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 04-20-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Waterlogged thanks for the tip. I don't believe there are any seals under these fittings, they are pipe threads, but I'll double check when I tear into it. I may have gone a little over board by doing the new pump as well but honestly I'd rather spend the $100 and get a new pump and hard line than spend $75 for a flexible line kit and still have the old pump in there.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:20 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
My opinion and experience; no need for thread sealant. Each fitting should come with a hard thin gasket-type washer. If not, so be it. Tighten only to a snug fit. Any sealant is not worth using with gasoline leaking onto it. The key is a good fit at the connections.

Read this at least twice (all of it): After you get the pump bolted on, remove the carb. or at least loosen it at all four corners. Careful with the gasket; you'll need to re-use it.
Install the hard line onto the pump. Route the line (adjacent) to the carb. inlet. Stop. Raise the carb, align the fitting into the inlet and set the carb. down onto the fitting. Get the fitting started by hand into the inlet knowing it is not cross threaded and the hard line is not sprung or in a bind. Then set the carb back down onto the plate and tighten it down.

The connector threads are easily crossed and disfigured. Mostly because of a sprung ling while trying to fit it under and into the inlet fitting with the carb bolted down to the plate.

Last time: get the line in place at the pump, lift the carb and lower it onto the line at the inlet fitting, tighten by hand until you are 100% certain the fitting is in the inlet properly. Snug tight using two wrenches. Don't tighten with one wrench. Did I mention two wrenches?

Read this at least once more. Don't be tempted to short cut the removal of the carb.

That fuel filter should not be on the pressure side of the pump. And at this point, make sure you are using a marine application carb. An automobile carb. is not acceptable. Looks like you have a Holley 4160 and that is OK, but make sure you have the right type carb.

Whoever sold you that mess should be kicked right square in the nuts.

All great advice but also important is to use two wrenches when tightening the fuel line fitting to the carburetor. If you don't use two wrenches, you will end up with a fuel line fitting that isn't tight enough and potentially stripping out the brass fitting that goes into the carburetor fuel bowl. Tighten the fuel bowl fitting first, then use two wrenches - one to hole the fitting in the carb fuel bowl stationary and the other wrench to tighten the fuel line fitting .

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $325 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $495 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Old 04-20-2016, 08:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
All great advice but also important is to use two wrenches when tightening the fuel line fitting to the carburetor. If you don't use two wrenches, you will end up with a fuel line fitting that isn't tight enough and potentially stripping out the brass fitting that goes into the carburetor fuel bowl. Tighten the fuel bowl fitting first, then use two wrenches - one to hole the fitting in the carb fuel bowl stationary and the other wrench to tighten the fuel line fitting .
You sound like me preaching to guys at work. I audit installation processes at factories installing our product and they don't understand the importance of the two wrench method when tiring a house to 150 ft/lb when the fitting into the housing it torqued at 75 ft/lb
Old 04-20-2016, 09:45 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy570 View Post
Waterlogged thanks for the tip. I don't believe there are any seals under these fittings, they are pipe threads, but I'll double check when I tear into it. I may have gone a little over board by doing the new pump as well but honestly I'd rather spend the $100 and get a new pump and hard line than spend $75 for a flexible line kit and still have the old pump in there.
Flex lines on the pressure side may not be USCG compliant. Don't quote me on that but there are requirements of this sort somewhere.

You made the right choice for the safety of your family and friends.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 tristar 190
why would he put a filter there when there was one already inside the fuel pump . silly PO

1988 mastercraft tristar (open bow).
Old 04-24-2016, 02:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbgbottle View Post
why would he put a filter there when there was one already inside the fuel pump . silly PO
That's a great question. The previous owner did some shady stuff on this thing. I will say the next MC I buy will be gone through more before buying it.