Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2015, 10:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 Prostar 205
Another new member, 1995 Prostar 205

Hello all, I've been enjoying this site for a while now, but was waiting until I was an actual owner to become a member. Well that day finally came last week! I live in the south suburbs of Minneapolis, and my purchase has already come across team talk via it's craigslist and SIA listing so I'm happy to have scooped it up and bring it into the community here. First off, I really only slalom so I was open to a lot of different makes and models within my budget, with a Prostar 190 at the top of the list, but to get my wife on board it had to be an open bow. To finally get her seriously on board with making the purchase was the biggest hurdle, so I wasn't going to argue with that, but knew if it was going to be a good skiing Mastercraft and within our budget I was limited to a 92-95 205.

When this one came up I initially paid no interest to it, I guess the ugly tower that had no use to me turned me off but my ski partner (also a member here) kept pushing me to see it. Not really too serious about it because of the high price, we thought we would check it out, kick the tires, get a feel for the boat and layout so when other options popped up I could just pull the trigger on it myself knowing my wife actually liked it. Well... we ended up falling in love with the first boat we ever checked out. What really sealed the deal though was the owner, he was the exact type of owner I would want to buy a boat from. The boat was really clean and great condition for it's age, he answered all my questions the right way, had some important spare parts and tools laying around, wiped the boat down after he used it, and even had dealer records from Midwest MC for the past 13 years he owned it. At that point I knew the extra money was worth it. We settled a little short of his asking price, but I know I paid the early summer premium. After a few times out though, who cares! I get to use this thing all summer and not have to hunt for a deal in the fall!

What I've done so far, with some questions below... I can turn a wrench, but am no expert when it comes to mechanics/engines, so to preface things I may be having a lot of questions in the future. Neutral lockout doesn't work, I thought I'd look into it. Didn't know the throttle lever would simply pop off the front so I took the whole control out and tore it apart. Had my first moment of MCOCD as I stared at parts covered in dirty grease and soon had my wife's fancy jar of Q tips out and was cleaning out every speck of dirty grease before I regreased and reassembled. As far as the lockout, I found the broken spring, replaced it, but it turns out the actual piece that engages to lock the throttle in neutral is so worn out, that the new spring didn't help. Midwest MC suggested flipping the piece over, but that still didn't work. I'm fine with it driving myself, but for new drivers/kids, definitely could see some mistakes being made.... Also, I already replaced the steering cable myself. Steering wasn't horrible, but I knew it could be better. I first followed Kyle's thread on "fixing stiff steering" but after I disconnected everything, I knew the stiffness was isolated to the cable. Reading nearly every steering cable replacement thread out there, I thought the best way would be to pull it out from the help end with a rope attached, and then start the new cable from the help end. However on the 205, I highly recommend removing the cable from the rudder end, and feeding it to the helm from the rudder end. After a lot of fumbling and swearing, my wife and I finally got the inflexible metal bar past the engine and headed towards the helm, but I quickly realized there was absolutely no chance it would make the bend from the floor up towards the steering wheel. We proceeded to cut it in half and just get it out of the boat, and I completely forgot to fish a rope with it from the helm. I was a little worried, but starting at the rudder end, the cable pushed all the way up to the front without snagging within a minute, I had the kick panel removed so I crawled under, reached down and simply grabbed the cable and worked it into place. Definitely helps to be small and limber to do that part, or send a kid down there if you have one. Anyways, huge difference and really smooth steering. I was also happy to find the rudder had a nice grind to it, and pulls steadily to the right.

In the end, the wife was dead on with the open bow requirement. We don't have kids yet, but already had my 5 year old nephew and 2.5 year old niece out and that was their favorite spot. It was also their first boat ride, and the nonstop smiles and laughter were priceless, and I can only imagine the fun they'll have when they find out there's more to do on this thing that sit in the front and "drive fast." No regrets with this purchase, and I know it's going to be a good summer.

Anyways, sorry for the long background, time for the important part, questions and pictures (I know there aren't many yet, I plan to keep updating with more as they come).

1. Engine Temp: Never seems to climb much higher than 130. What's more likely, wrong thermostat? Failing sensor? Other ideas? Like I mentioned boat has always been serviced at Midwest MC so I don't think anything is terribly amiss.

2. Stuffing box: I know it's not a dripless setup, and it should drip10-15 drops per minute, I haven't looked at it closely while underway but I've never noticed any water in the bilge after use. Should I be concerned? To allow to drip, I'd just loosen up the packing gland nut?

3. Tower: I have no use for it, PO even included a new set of brackets for it that have not been used so I may try to sell it. I currently just have the tower off with the brackets in place. It doesn't really bother me right now, and leave me the option to throw it back on if I ever want to, but what's the best way to give it the clean look it used to have for the least amount of money? Remove brackets and patch holes? Maybe just leave some small bolts or plugs in the bolt holes somehow?

4. Prop condition: It has some nicks an dings to it, no vibrations underway. Important to repair it right away? As suggested on here I'll likely end up with an Acme 541 pretty soon, but wondering if I can get away with current prop for a while. Ski partner's looks far worse and claims it's ok because of no vibrations, so maybe any comments here may steer him in a new direction too :-)

I guess that's it for now, thanks in advance for the help. If anyone in the twin cities is trying to swap out their steering cable and needs an extra set of hands, or needs a pull in the area, I'm happy to help!
Attached Images

Last edited by SkiWest; 05-16-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:57 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Nice boat!

I'd still repair the prop... get a new one, and keep the old as a spare.

Even though you have no use for the tower, you'll find it's nice for storage. It holds things like ropes, your skis, you can attach a bimini to it, you can put speakers up there... all sorts of stuff. Plus, if you ever want to get on a wakeboard (or if your friends do) you'll have a high tow point. Just do what you're doing... keep it off and stored away until someday you might need it. They really do offer lots of storage though.

For the temp issue, pull the t-stat housing off. Sounds like there either A) Isn't a thermostat in there, or B) it has failed and is stuck open. It's not really a huge issue, but running at those temps will cause the computer to compensate by running more fuel and you'll have a rich condition. Better to be operating at the correct 160-180* range. Pulling the t-stat housing off is an easy task, and is good maintenance anyway. Plus a new t-stat is like 30 bucks so its good piece of mind. Make sure you get a marine t-stat with a hole for water bypass in it.

Congrats on the boat! Looks like its been taken care of.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:03 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2
Welcome - Nice boat - I'll echo mzimme's view.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:11 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X2, MCX
Welcome. Keep the tower, its good for pull ups between ski sets.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:17 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
Nice boat!

I'd still repair the prop... get a new one, and keep the old as a spare.

Even though you have no use for the tower, you'll find it's nice for storage. It holds things like ropes, your skis, you can attach a bimini to it, you can put speakers up there... all sorts of stuff. Plus, if you ever want to get on a wakeboard (or if your friends do) you'll have a high tow point. Just do what you're doing... keep it off and stored away until someday you might need it. They really do offer lots of storage though.

For the temp issue, pull the t-stat housing off. Sounds like there either A) Isn't a thermostat in there, or B) it has failed and is stuck open. It's not really a huge issue, but running at those temps will cause the computer to compensate by running more fuel and you'll have a rich condition. Better to be operating at the correct 160-180* range. Pulling the t-stat housing off is an easy task, and is good maintenance anyway. Plus a new t-stat is like 30 bucks so its good piece of mind. Make sure you get a marine t-stat with a hole for water bypass in it.

Congrats on the boat! Looks like its been taken care of.

Very nice boat, congrats and welcome to the forum! You must now have the record for longest first post.

Mike hit the nail on the head here, great advice IMO.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks Mike, appreciate the info. I'll give Skidim a call when they're open and order a set.

Yeah, started typing and it turned into a novel haha.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Great choice on the 205. I have the same boat. I went the Acme 541 and it was a great upgrade. Welcome to Team Talk.
Attached Images

Former 1986 Mastercraft Skier
Old 05-16-2015, 03:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Nice boat! Those Prostars are rock solid fun machines!

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 05-16-2015, 03:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
Nice find. Great hull.
Agree the safety thing isn't big deal, unless oh have motor running and kids on board. If this will happen frequently, I'd move that up on your list.

Agree to keep tower for a bit to make sure you don't want. If you ever take some others out and want to pull a wakeboard or kids tube from the tower, it allows back seat usage. This likely would not be ski trip...

Also if you get into waves be careful with the open bow. It can take water over it. A little bit of throttle will address that.

Enjoy.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:05 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
nice boat - nice to see another 205 in great service. welcome! and congrats.. mike is dead on.. no stat in there.. didn't see any mention of changing the impeller.. get a rebuild kit with the seal and washer.. nice evening project..
Attached Images

Tags
prostar 205, steering cable