Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2014, 12:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
'99 Maristar rear storage

I've found a clean '99 Maristar that I am interested in purchasing. The single hatch rear storage looks inconvenient and problematic if the lifting system fails. I would appreciate some input from you early Maristar owners.

Thanks.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:45 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
I have a 95 Maristar 200VRS with the rear sun pad. Yes, it looks cool going up and down but can also be a pain in the butt. Can't get into storage once I put the boom on and I keep a 1/2 inch socket in the glove box for the 2 hinge bolts in case something goes wrong with the battery...happened once. I now keep my portable booster in the front storage because I have a positive battery terminal under the rear seat and I can connect the neg cable to the transmission. I need to install a safety release to the pull pin as someone else did.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:09 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
Mine failed so I got rid of it:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=38546&page=3

The good info starts at post #23

I haven't regretted it. The electrical actuator was so slow and I couldn't open it without getting in the boat and holding down the rocker switch. Now I can stand on the trailer fender and open the hatch if I need to. Having 3 doors would be nicer but would require way too much effort and money to change. Having a single hatch doesn't really bother me.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:17 PM
MC Devotee

Also, in that same thread Maristar Man posted his solution for an emergency release if you wanted to keep the motorized actuator at least until it fails:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...5&postcount=14
Old 04-28-2014, 02:56 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1999 Mastercraft Maristar Sport 230
I've owned my '99 Maristar Sport 230 since new. The hatch still works.
The problems are correctly noted though and I'll add that I can't remember how many times I've gone to my driveway to get something or stow something, raised and lowered the platform, and forgot to turn off the key. Yes, you need to either put the ignition in accessory mode or the boat needs to be on. Of course, then the battery is dead next time I go to raise the platform. Then you need to charge the battery etc ... This all means you can't store your portable battery in the rear storage and count on having it quickly available if the battery is [b]completely[b] dead. However, the hatch will still run on an almost dead battery (see previous comment regarding leaving the key in )

The raising and lowering is indeed slow. I've gotten used to it. It's not horrible and I wouldn't gate a buy decision on that single item.

I hadn't seen the emergency release. I'm practicing my sewing and putting it in this weekend. That's a really great idea.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:51 PM
MC Devotee

If you have plans for a big ballast system the actuator will be a problem. My 750 lb sacs would have pushed the actuator towards the engine. I would have had to build something around it to keep the bag from rubbing on it but still allow it to move through its range of motion. Fortunately/unfortunately it broke before I did my ballast system so I never had to deal with that.

If it's working I'd use it as is. Mine only broke because the previous owner left the boat in the rain with the plug in and the actuator motor spent some time under water.

BTW, my 2000 did not have to have the key in the on position to open/close the hatch.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:24 AM
MC Devotee

Responses

Thanks for all the great info. I think I'm likely to convert to the gas lift supports if I buy the boat.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:08 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
if you convert, consider carefully where you mount the shocks. the pressure needed to lift would put some serious strain on fiberglass. I mention this because in converting our one piece into three, I had to drop down a shock size because I noticed a great deal of flex happening where shock is mounted on bottom (See photo of side door) Just throwing this out there.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2014, 10:50 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRue View Post
if you convert, consider carefully where you mount the shocks. the pressure needed to lift would put some serious strain on fiberglass. I mention this because in converting our one piece into three, I had to drop down a shock size because I noticed a great deal of flex happening where shock is mounted on bottom (See photo of side door) Just throwing this out there.
Thanks for the "heads up". Nice conversion BTW.