Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2018, 05:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Is it time to hang it up...or not?

This in not an easy post for me, so I am just going to vent. I learned how to ski at 17 years old, and at 19 I crossed over to slalom. For the latter part of my life, that is the water sport I loved doing. Never was competitive or ran buoys, I just loved getting up on my ski and pushing myself to try and make that cut harder and leave that wall of spray as I turn the corner. That was my rushÖalmost like a drug, pushing myself to the breaking point.

Well, I fear that is where I may be at now Öthe breaking point. Is it for the first time in my life, am I having to succumb to my age? For the last 2 years, I have been unable to get up on my ski. Iím trying to figure out why. What am I forgetting? What am I doing wrong? What has changed? Why canít I do it anymore? Here I am now at 43 years old and facing having to give up something Iíve loved doing for 25+ years! I donít want to! No, not yet. I still see my mother still doing it at 64, and others on this forum who have gone into their 70s still able to ride a ski. This canít be the end of my ride!

Iím trying not to get discouraged, but simple fact is am. Iíll even admit Iíve been emotional as well. However, I am having to force myself to look inward for answers. Whatís it going to take to overcome this? Can I overcome this at all? What do I need to do? The answer is upper body / core strength. I donít have enough, and I need more. Also dare I mention weight. Now Iím not what one would consider overweight, but Iím not in the best of shape either. Is it possible that if I could work on these factors during the winter, I could make a grand comeback next season?

Finally, just practiceÖ.which may be the hardest. Why? I donít mind putting in the time. However, the occasions when I have another boat driver on board are few and far between. This one is going to take some thought.

Sorry for the lengthy post, guys. Itís a little strange posting this to board full strangers, however in the 5 years Iíve been a member of this board, Iíve discovered that itís filled with lots of good hearted folks (4 of whom Iíve actually met) who share the same love and passion for our MasterCraft boats and the things we do behind them. Thanks for allowing me to be a little transparent for a while. Cheers!

1998 MariStar 225VRS, 350ci LT1

Authorized Dealer for
Old 10-03-2018, 05:56 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
The answer is simple. Surf.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:06 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Blame the driver!!! Haha.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 10-03-2018, 06:13 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
In all seriousness, if you think it's a hold back of physical ability, that seems like a fairly manageable thing to change and get back to what you love. Get yourself a personal trainer, get in the gym, and get yourself in shape to ski again. You'll be amazed at what 3 months of sacrifice would do for you on that front, and you'll be all set to go by next spring.

You tried one of those fatter skis to see if that's helpful?
Old 10-03-2018, 06:16 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Joe, you know the answer. You wrote it in your note. I'm 62 and have had less than stellar slalom years for probably the last 7 or 8 years but I still go and still love the rush. Your season isn't ending as we come into fall, it's just beginning. The difference is that this is training season to prepare for riding season next spring. You are wayyyyy too young to quit skiing but you're certainly going to need to commit to properly preparing for next spring.

I drink beer (guess there goes the supreme court for me) and eat too much all summer living life on the boat. Once fall hits (that was last week BTW) it's diet and weight season. I've already severely cut my drinking down and have 5 workouts in as I lean into the training season. There are tons of small things you can do anywhere to get started but it's time to start now for next season.

As to practice and technique..... I used to be a double fixed boot skier but I found those days are behind me. I find it easier to get out now with a fixed boot and a toe plate. I also went to a more forgiving ski (Radar Senate) that helped a lot as my old Connelly Concept was trying to kill me. I stepped up a size in the ski, bought better bindings (RADAR Vectors are the ****) and slowed the boat speed to 32. Skiing is fun again. It also helps that my BIL is an INT skier and is very helpful and patient.

So in closing I guess what I'm saying here is get off you butt and commit to doing what it takes to stay behind the boat. Re-access everything about your gear, your speed and find people that want to help get you back in the game. You're way to young to give up now and retreating here will just start you down a path of getting old too soon. Wish you were up here, I could use someone to grow back into the sport with.

Now get out there and do something!

How was that for a half time speech?
Old 10-03-2018, 06:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2011 X25
Get yourself back into shape and look into a school to help you get your feet back under you. The boarding school comes to mind but I’m sure there are others out there. As long as you don’t have any health issues holding you back, no reason to quit now.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:44 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2011 X-25
I agree with all of the above. Don't give up! Especially at such a tender age. This is an excellent reason to get healthy/strong......oh and it definately is the driver's fault.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:01 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
don’t give up I don’t know what has changed in your life physically but it seems you have lost faith in your ability and have a mental issue. What about dropping a ski?

People overcome challenges everyday with the right attitude
Old 10-03-2018, 07:02 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '15 X10 6.0L, '15 X30 6.2L
57 yo, 225 lbs, hip replacement, still taking slalom turns despite getting the surf bug. Ski first if conditions are clean. Get a bigger, wider ski and RTP to help deep water starts. 32mph helps cut down on ragdolls. Keep getting after fitness and fun.

I still get nervous before the first start and am 75% or so on starts. My young daughter says butterflies are life’s indicator something really cool is about to happen, and that they do not happen enough.

Good luck.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
How much do you weigh, and how big is your ski? A bigger ski will help. Get in shape in the off season. Get a lesson from a pro shop and they can give you pointers and better techniques to get up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk