Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-07-2018, 09:09 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 6.0L
2002 Prostar LQ9 check engine code 41 & 81

I have a Prostar 197 the I purchased in a state of benign neglect. After a fair amount of work getting the gauges working and performing other basic service I'm left with one last issue I can't figure out.

The check engine light illuminates under acceleration and at throttle positions above 2000 RPM. The light is intermittent and goes out when I return to idle or cut throttle a bit. I used the paperclip method to read the error codes and got a 41 and an 81. I understand the 41 has something to do with ignition, so I went ahead and replaced the coils and plugs. I intended to replace the wires as well, but the ones I bought were too short, so I'm still running the old ones.

In any case, the problem remains. I notice no drivability or performance issues, and all other parameters are normal (temp, oil pressure, etc.). I also checked the fuel pressure under power and it is good as well.

An ideas what else to check?

The engine is a 6.0L 385HP Indmar LQ9, which is basically the marinized version of a Cadillac Escalade engine, which is based on the GM LS3 series but is made for trucks and has an iron block. This engine is coil on plug and has no distributor or other ignition control module that I can find.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Z
Old 10-08-2018, 12:38 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Code 41 is an open circuit from ecu to ignition control module.

Code 81... unusual voltage on injector driver circuit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2018, 06:30 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 6.0L
Thanks. I was able to find that info, but my engine does not appear to have a separate ignition control module. It’s all just wiring harness from the ecm to the coils as far as I can tell. That’s what has me stumped. I’m not sure what/where to troubleshoot next.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:16 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztarum View Post
Thanks. I was able to find that info, but my engine does not appear to have a separate ignition control module. Itís all just wiring harness from the ecm to the coils as far as I can tell. Thatís what has me stumped. Iím not sure what/where to troubleshoot next.
Time to check wiring and and make sure grounds good and no open circuits. You cam find the clymers manual online for about 30 bucks.. it has a decent trouble shooting guide

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk