Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 02-07-2017, 10:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
Might be worth the expense of getting the actual MEFI Diacom for code pull and testing of the MEFI on your boat, I have one and it is nice to have.

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
"Do you have Flake on that boat?"
Old 02-08-2017, 09:48 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminscj View Post
Following, I am chasing an almost identical problem. Mine will run stay running if you partially open the throttle.
+1 push in the button and push the throttle forward and see if it makes a difference...
Old 02-17-2017, 03:48 PM
Lukex45

Ok so looks like I'm going to invest in some diagnostic equipment. Iv tried almost everything now.

Unplugged loom and gave the ECM a direct live from the battery, jump started directly off the starter motor and the same situation happened. Engine ran for 1 second and shut down. This cancels out the chances of any dash, ignition or kill switch fault.

Full new set of sensors arrived, installed. And no change.

Unplugged each coil to see if a faulty coil was shutting down the ECM, no change !!!

Iv now thrown the towel in and completely stuck !!!!

I even made up my own OBD-2 cable and tried plugging into my friends top of the range OBD scanner he uses at his garage...... No connection, no joy !

So I'm now thinking, dead ECM? Or I'm missing something..... ??

Can anyone advise on a good MEFI 5 Diagnostics kit ? And has it been known for MEFI-5 ECM's to fail ?
Old 02-17-2017, 09:31 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminscj View Post
Following, I am chasing an almost identical problem. Mine will run stay running if you partially open the throttle.
Yours is set too rich or the choke isn't set correctly. Open the choke and if it runs, adjust the choke. If the carb hasn't been rebuilt, I would say that it's time to do that- 31 years with the crappy gas that's being shoved down our throats is a really long time.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:44 AM
Lukex45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Yours is set too rich or the choke isn't set correctly. Open the choke and if it runs, adjust the choke. If the carb hasn't been rebuilt, I would say that it's time to do that- 31 years with the crappy gas that's being shoved down our throats is a really long time.
It would help if I had a carb. Its a 2008 6.0 EFI.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:00 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 99 prostar 205 LTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukex45 View Post

I think Jim was referring to the other guy, cummins, looks like his boat is a 1986.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:02 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukex45 View Post
I was addressing the post from Comminscj.

Who is supposed to service Mastercraft boats near you?
Old 02-18-2017, 12:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 99 prostar 205 LTR
JimN will know more about this than me,
But is it possible that the vdig could be causing this? I think I've read somewhere that some MC's are equipped with "anti theft". Is it possible that this boat has a theft deterrent system? Not the same I'm sure, however I do know that the "pass lock" or "theft lock" system on gm vehicles are known for causing this exact issue.
Also, I had a pair of Yamaha jet skis with anti theft that required a code be entered or they would exhibit this exact behavior.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:50 PM
Lukex45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
I was addressing the post from Comminscj.

Who is supposed to service Mastercraft boats near you?
Sorry, i missed that .

We only have 1 dealer in the UK, there approx 4 hours away and any parts from them is at a extortionate price what with mastercraft price, import duty and there fee's ontop.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:51 PM
Lukex45

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyriver View Post
JimN will know more about this than me,
But is it possible that the vdig could be causing this? I think I've read somewhere that some MC's are equipped with "anti theft". Is it possible that this boat has a theft deterrent system? Not the same I'm sure, however I do know that the "pass lock" or "theft lock" system on gm vehicles are known for causing this exact issue.
Also, I had a pair of Yamaha jet skis with anti theft that required a code be entered or they would exhibit this exact behavior.
Interesting, il do some digging on this.....