Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 05-26-2018, 07:21 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2011 Mastercraft X-45
Pump filling but not draining.

My port side jabsco ballast pump is filling but not draining. I replaced the impeller which looked fine and that didnt help at all. The starboard side and kgb are louder when turned on/off and fill a littler quicker than the port. Could this just be that the pump needs replaced or something im overlooking? Boat is a 2011 x45.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:54 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2015 X23
I'm having the same problem on the same side. Everything fills in about the same time. But the port side drains down to about 6" in the rear locker sac and will not pump out below that. I've tried it on the lift and still wont drain. This is in a 2015 X23 any advise on where to start. I have not changed the impeller or explored very far.

Thanks
Chuck
Old 05-30-2018, 10:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
First thing to do is get a multimeter and test if you have voltage at the quick disconnect plug next to the pump. You'll need some needle style probes. You should see at least 12 volts when you turn the pump switch to fill and then when it empties it should also be at least 12 volts but with the opposite polarity. If you have good voltage in both cases, your pump is the problem. Sometimes, the plug on the pump end can be flaky. I had one pump that quit working, I plugged it in and unplugged it a couple of times and it started working again.