Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 06-13-2018, 03:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
Speedometer pitot replacement

In 2015, given many comments they are functionally superior to the original Airguides, I added the Tournament Pitots sold by skidim and fifty feet of tubing to a larger order. I'm just getting around to replacing the Airguides. If skidim sent any documentation, I must have misplaced it. Questions:

(1) The tubing connector on the Airguide pitots is tapered and has multiple barbs. There is a brass nut that slides over the tubing and then screws on over the connector on the Airguide. The skidim pitot has a pretty much uniform thickness connector except for one pretty big barb. Are people just sliding the tubing over the skidim pitot tubing connector and getting a good seal (it feels quite tight) or also using the brass nut or something else to get a good seal?

(2) The skidim pitot has a joint for some purpose, but it's kind of stiff, and I don't want to force it. What is this for? Rotate down for storage? Rotate up if the pitot strikes something when in use?

(3) If I replace the tubing between the pitots and the ballast tubes, with respect to the hole in the transom for passage of the tubing, how is the current sealant removed and what's best to seal the hole? Currently, what I'm guessing is the original installation on my 94 PS 190 has a stainless cover plate on the outside for each tube and a blob of some sealant adhered to the inside of the transom around each of the two tubes. The sealant feels spongier to me than I remember the 3M 5200 I've used only once before, but my memory could be off.

skidim told me Medallion makes the Tournament Pitot Assembly they sell, but I don't see anything about it on the Medallion Instruments website.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
1) A press fit of the tubing on the new pitot should provide all the security you need.

2) The pitot is designed to flip up should you hit an obstruction, there's no need to mess with it.

3) I would clean everything thoroughly, and use silicone sealant under the clamshell fitting. I would not use 3M 5200 or even 4200 in such a low stress use.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rita View Post
1) A press fit of the tubing on the new pitot should provide all the security you need.

2) The pitot is designed to flip up should you hit an obstruction, there's no need to mess with it.

3) I would clean everything thoroughly, and use silicone sealant under the clamshell fitting. I would not use 3M 5200 or even 4200 in such a low stress use.
I haven't disassembled things yet, but now that you mention silicone, it does appear upon closer inspection there is clear silicone, or something very much like it, on the outside of the transom peeking out from under both the pitot and the stainless cover over the tubing.

Since silicone allegedly leaves a residue when removed to which new silicone does not adhere particularly well, any suggestions on cleaning the old stuff off in these locations? Got a favorite marine silicone?
Old 06-13-2018, 11:36 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I redid my pitot tubes and used some sealant from home depot.. on the screws and where the tubes enter hull.. on hose to pitot.. i used a bit of hi tack sealant and some cheap spring clamps.. system works like a charm for many seasons now

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2018, 12:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
I redid my pitot tubes and used some sealant from home depot.. on the screws and where the tubes enter hull.. on hose to pitot.. i used a bit of hi tack sealant and some cheap spring clamps.. system works like a charm for many seasons now

Your boat is only a year younger than mine. What sealant did you find in the original installation and how did you get it off?
Old 06-14-2018, 01:06 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
What ever was there was gone. So i just a plain rtv for fastening

Old 06-14-2018, 07:54 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 X5
I just did the same project this spring. My speedo tubes have not moved and I only used hand strength the slide the tube onto the pickup. The "joint" was correctly identified above. It is designed to move slightly in case of hitting an object, in my case a garage wall... I would not use 3M 5200 on sealing. This is permanent and will require a lot of work in case you need to replace in the future. I used some Atwood marine sealant which is removable, it is rated for above and below the water line. Clean the holes and area very well to ensure bondage.